1978 - 360 engine build

-

70abody

AZDuster
Reaction score
New to the a body forums .
Have put up a few pictures of our 1970 Duster project.

Need information on a 1978 360 engine out of a rv ?
Are they any different in horse power.
We will be building it this starting this month.
Are told the heads are o.k. for a mostly stock build.
But are not j heads.
Any information on this engine will help we don't know what rv / camper it came from will any engine numbers tell us?
Thanks
J & K

Nothing special about a 360 from an RV. It's a 360. The heads will support 375-400 hp with basic prep. Beyond that look to various new castings. Should be a good starting point.

New to the a body forums .
Have put up a few pictures of our 1970 Duster project.

Need information on a 1978 360 engine out of a rv ?
Are they any different in horse power.
We will be building it this starting this month.
Are told the heads are o.k. for a mostly stock build.
But are not j heads.
Any information on this engine will help we don't know what rv / camper it came from will any engine numbers tell us?
Thanks
J & K

Preety much what the Cheif said.

A RV engine is no different than a truck engine which is no different than a car engine. No difference in build or HP. Perhaps some models may have come with parts designed for heat or longevity, like, a double roller timing chain or a windage tray, even a high temp starter, but nothing otherwise.

Heads on SB Mopar do not vary a whole lot. The better X heads flow just a little better than J heads, the J heads flow a little better than 308 heads, 308 heads flow a little better than your heads. The difference in them is small. Perhaps an average of 15 cfm, maybe 20 on a good to bad casting and valve size.

On your heads, build dependent, the heads will suport 400 HP without getting crazy, again, it is a build dependent thing though. Cam size, comp. ratio, inatke and carb are all important to this.

The numbers on the front of the block, drivers side, just below the deck will tell you a few things, but not much and certainly not whereit came from or it's power level as stock.

I just finished having a '77 360 out of a Cordoba built. Mine is a "smog" motor with cast iron "smog" heads. The build included: Block and heads hot tanked, mag'd, shot peened with both surviving the process but there was excess chamfer at the tops of the cylinders which, we found out, was how Mopar cast their blocks. This bothered the builder during the zero deck milling but everything worked out fine. Crank and connecting rods shot peened with one rod failing the process. Block was bored .030 over, crank and new set of floating pin connecting rods balanced with KB 107 pistons. Heads got a 3 angle valve job and also a bowl blend and gasket match keeping the 1.88 and 1.60 valves. Using stock lifters but used adjustable push rods. New set of main bearings, cam bearings, Comp Cams XE274H cam with matching springs Stock oil pump, oil pick up, and oil pan. Eddy Performer RPM intake, Holley 4150, 650cfm carb, Eddy Victor Series water pump, Holley 110 gph fuel pump. Still deciding on ignition. I highly recommend neutral balancing your externally balanced 360. Cam will depend on alot of things such as vacuum needed, rear end ratio, etc. I wanted a dependable, tight motor with a little lope. I used the 1.88 valves to keep the vacuum up. Estimated 9.5 to 9.8:1 compression ratio. Expected horsepower and torque? I'll probably never find out. It won't be in the car for a while but I'll let you all know how it worked out. Neutral balance that 360, though and don't let those cast iron heads bother you, they'll flow fine. Good luck with your build.

Sounds like a lot of work and the horse power will be awesome. To say i am jealous is a understatement.

Mostly because of money. i can't go that far wish i could .
Paw deluxe rebuild kit including timing chain , oil pump & rings.
A new water pump , manual fuel pump, freeze plugs,
edelbrock performer, carter avs, headers, dual exhaust.
Torque/ rv cam( j heads I bought last night.) Looks like i will stay with stock porting and stock valve train.
10 :1 compression pistons (cast) if i can find them at a reasonable price.
The crank case and heads hot tanked.
Crank turned and crank bearing & freeze plugs installed in by the machine shop.
The rest is all me from tear down to assembly.
I always say if it's worth having it's worth building.
If i owned it i have built 90 plus % of it.
Please keep me up to date on your build.
I will too & i will post pictures as i go.
Majorly Over Powered and Respected
Move Over People Are Racing
H ave a Mopar day.

-
Back