1979 360 small block and heads deal???

-

66Vali

Reaction score
Ok so I have the opportunity to pick up a 1979 Mopar 360 small block(block and heads) for $125.00....Another $100 for head gaskets, intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets (the guy can get them for cost) block has never been bored

1. Is this a good deal??

2. What other parts will I need to fit this into my 1966 Plymouth Canadian Valiant? (Intake obviously, but what else) Sorry I'm new to anything motor!! Have been reading lots but am still kind of confused sorry...

3. I was reading about the thumpa hydra cams....I really like the sound of these....(How do I know which one is the proper one?

4. What's a decent Carb for this setup?

What I am looking for out of a motor is a weekend driver for fun....don't need a 500hp car, but something that will sound good and have maybe 350-380hp.....

My BIL is a machinist and millwright so any of that part is free for me...Not that I know anything about boring....

I would like to say I have used the search button and have spent probably 15-20 hours this last week or so reading and have learned a ton through everyone's posts....However when it comes to piecing together what I want, I'm still kind of confused...

I would love to know what is the best set up for what I am looking for....My 66 Vali currently has a 225 /6....

Transmission wise I am pretty sure a 727 is a good match???
I also know I need a 8'1/4 rear end??

I appreciate everyone on this board...and just want to say thank you for making this fun for me as it is the first time I have ever done this....In the long run I plan to give this car to my daughter!!!

Thanks

It sounds like a good deal to me.
The 727 use's a tad more power than a 904 which is also a tax lighter. Ethier will do.
The. 8-1/4 is the min. Size to have. It is also a good bit cheaper than a 8-3/4 or a DANA 9-3/4. The 8-1/4 will hold 400hp easy.

As far as building up the 360, look into KB Hyper-U's
The MP replacement 340, a nice upgrade over the stock 340 cam will get you to 350 HP with stock heads.
A cam of [email protected], bowl ported heads , will get you 400 HP with a RPM & 750 carb. Headers of course on each listing.

Go to summit racing and find the engine mounts for the swap. There cheap if your yea fits. Or it is the Schumacher swap kit. A V8 rad to cool it is good and you'll need to shorten your drive shaft with the new rear. A throttle cable and kick down cable. A good stall converter to matche the cam.

IF headers are not in the plan, look to Comp cams for the dual energy cam designed for exhaust manifolds.

If i had a machinist willing todo all the block work for free(?) I would have the block decked to fix the as cast factory tapered deck suffice of the block. then get it bored and line hone the mains.

Have the head gone through with bronze valve guides and Hardened exh. seats installed. 3 angle valve job done and then blend the lower cut,into the bowl.(intake side) of the port.

Plus what "rumblefish360" stated above.

Are you going with the stock torque converter or a higher stall.
What gear ratio ?

-
Back