1979 Duster ????

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
You guys ever seen one of deeez ???

I didn't know they existed. It's listed at Carsonline for $14,300.....Thought it was only the "Volare" tag by then........This is tagged as a Duster.....??

79ply34543-1.jpg

Yeah, there nothing special 318 was the biggest engine you could get, but Plaid interior was an option. This car has been for sale for a LOOOOOOOONG time, nice though. And those are Volare Road Runner/Aspen R/T window loovers and wing. I dont think you could get a duster with T-Top's either.

Also available in 1980...

And then again in the mid-eighties as part of the Turismo line and then later yet as part of the Sundance line. YUCK.

i owned one, even the same color w/butterscotch plaid seats. it cam with a 318.

Yeah, there nothing special 318 was the biggest engine you could get, but Plaid interior was an option. This car has been for sale for a LOOOOOOOONG time, nice though. And those are Volare Road Runner/Aspen R/T window loovers and wing. I dont think you could get a duster with T-Top's either.

in the 90s my dad and i were working on a volare premier that was supposed to be my 1st car. i learned a lot about cars. we put a road runner wing on it, removed all the premier trim, rust free fenders from anothe rvolare and the hood from the same road runner with the twin scoop. we had spotted a volare at the back of a chrysler dealership it was sittign for along time. we spoke to a few of the guys there. it was an employes car and wast for sale. we checked it out, it was the later style, im going to say 79. it turned out to be a duster with a small block, manual trans, t tops and no side louvers. it was pretty cool. of coarse after finding out it wasnt for sale, we only wanted it more.

Not True

The 1979 Duster was actually very special ... it was actually a merging of 2 of the 70's Duster Models of the 70's

Those being the Feather Duster specail fuel economy option which capitalized on the other Dusters sporty flair (340 Duster, Twister etc.) Feather Duster was a fuel economy strippy model package with special light weight parts and cam only with slant six EPA rated at 36 MPG on steel wheels (kinda odd that while putting every thing else light they didn't put light weight mags on it)

and the other

Twister option of 1971 & 1972 (often Twister & 340 options are confused but they were 2 separate options, this is because they often were ordered together) Twister you custom ordered it how you wanted it it had a hood strobe stripe oprion, and optional hood scoops, and you could add almost any other option you wanted.

For 1979 Duster started a base package with a Chrome logo, dual tape stripe on upper body sides and a strobe tape strip between the tailights, and fullwheel cover hub caps, a slant six engine, a special plaid uphostery (only avlailable on 1979 Duster and its twin the 1979 Sunrise Aspen)

Duster was for those who wanted something different from the standard base Volare but couldn't afford or didn't want a Roadrunner or R/T

to get a Duster instead of Volare you paid $30 extra for one without quarter window louvers and for Duster with louvers you paid $60 extra (most opted for withlouvers vs without for the sporty appearance ... (most also added the Magnum 500's to delete the odd looking standard hubcaps they look out of place with louvers on this car)

Like Twister you could add anything you wanted to that by paying Mopar extra money to get it.

So Duster Pictured for discussion is a Fully Loaded car special ordered... To get 360 V8 was $499 extra, T-Tops $600 extra, Tuff Wheel was extra, if this is original paint the tail strobe stripe delete was extra..

Most Duster orders wanted something different on a Tight budget so Fully Loaded Dusters are rarer and little know with lots of misconception for 1979 & 1980 I call these Ghost Dusters because so little is known/remebered today about them

FYI I am the owner of F Body Mopars on Yahoo

Walt

See My Commentary on this Post entitled Not True

This is a "REAL" duster,not a fake wannabee f-body type,or are they road runners..no they stop making real ones of those in '70..

DSCF0205.jpg

Man that Duster 340 is bad ***! What size tires are on the back? Where did you get those rims? Thats the look i'd like on my demon.

Strongly Disagree as should anyone with any other year of A body Duster while performance dropped acrossed the board even the "Feather Duster" was a real Duster... just different option package with different goals like MPG vs performance...

True F Body Fans will disagree with you too... be careful some day you just might come upon a fairly unassuming F Body that just might leave your "Real Duster" in the dust ...

Ma Mopar always managed to put something out there to beat the blue ovals and the bow tie and their cousins our competitiors...

Look at the truth while you might not like it F Bodys were still rear wheel drive and when equipped with the 318 V8 even with the 2 bbl car these were still faster than the Black Bird Trans Am aka Smokey and Bandit T/A or Bandit's T/A

When you added a 4bbl carb even on the little humble 318 beatings only got worse and when a 360 with 4bbl was used the leavings in the distance worsened...

Pretty awesome when you consider the 6.6 litre Trans Am which was 400 cu in which means they had 40 more cubes than a 360 mopar of 1978/79, and 82 more cubic inches than the 318's they were also beat by...

F Bodys were Mopars newer defenders of Dodge and Plymouth Marquees while even today they do not recieve all the credit they are due because of being over shadowed by the greater performing earlier muscle cars that had less restrictions and no catalytic converters to try to huff thru...

Choke down a A Body, B Body, or E Body with a weaker cam and make the exhause breathe thru a catalytic converter and then compare performance...

Actually F bodys did pretty awesome feats considering how they came equipped factory

Walt

Not True

The 1979 Duster was actually very special ... it was actually a merging of 2 of the 70's Duster Models of the 70's

Those being the Feather Duster specail fuel economy option which capitalized on the other Dusters sporty flair (340 Duster, Twister etc.) Feather Duster was a fuel economy strippy model package with special light weight parts and cam only with slant six EPA rated at 36 MPG on steel wheels (kinda odd that while putting every thing else light they didn't put light weight mags on it)

and the other

Twister option of 1971 & 1972 (often Twister & 340 options are confused but they were 2 separate options, this is because they often were ordered together) Twister you custom ordered it how you wanted it it had a hood strobe stripe oprion, and optional hood scoops, and you could add almost any other option you wanted.

For 1979 Duster started a base package with a Chrome logo, dual tape stripe on upper body sides and a strobe tape strip between the tailights, and fullwheel cover hub caps, a slant six engine, a special plaid uphostery (only avlailable on 1979 Duster and its twin the 1979 Sunrise Aspen)

Duster was for those who wanted something different from the standard base Volare but couldn't afford or didn't want a Roadrunner or R/T

to get a Duster instead of Volare you paid $30 extra for one without quarter window louvers and for Duster with louvers you paid $60 extra (most opted for withlouvers vs without for the sporty appearance ... (most also added the Magnum 500's to delete the odd looking standard hubcaps they look out of place with louvers on this car)

Like Twister you could add anything you wanted to that by paying Mopar extra money to get it.

So Duster Pictured for discussion is a Fully Loaded car special ordered... To get 360 V8 was $499 extra, T-Tops $600 extra, Tuff Wheel was extra, if this is original paint the tail strobe stripe delete was extra..

Most Duster orders wanted something different on a Tight budget so Fully Loaded Dusters are rarer and little know with lots of misconception for 1979 & 1980 I call these Ghost Dusters because so little is known/remebered today about them

FYI I am the owner of F Body Mopars on Yahoo

Walt
For Further information.... As a result of the this not so special by someone elses opinion...

FYI without the F Body Duster and its twin "Sunrise" optioned Aspen, Mopar would have sold 33,000 less units... over the a proximate 2 1/2 years they were produced...

11 times as many Dusters/Sunrises were produced as Roadrunners & R/Ts which says a lot for their demand when new

ignored and forgotten because Roadrunners & R/T's are more sought by enthusiasts because of their flashier greater performance pasts...

Today Dusters and Sunrises in nice condition are quite collectable but not for everyones taste either just like when they were produced

Many of your more liked models were not produced in these kinds of numbers when it comes to spedcial packages

Walt

Man that Duster 340 is bad ***! What size tires are on the back? Where did you get those rims? Thats the look i'd like on my demon.

Thanks..the rear tires are 275/60 15's..the rims are 15x7 small bolt pattern,i bought from Summit racing..

Ghostduster,sorry man thats my oppinion..as for those f-bodys being anywhere near quick,know what the fastest American production vehicle was in '78??..that right the little red pick up..even a TRUCK is quicker then those things...:toothy10::toothy10:

-
Back