1979 Super Six start issues

-

clonestocker

Reaction score
We have a 1979 Super Six put in a 1972 Duster. The motor has always started hard but it is to the point of ridiculous now. You can pump it 50 times and nothing but crank, crank, crank. It will start eventually. But if you pull the aircleaner and prime it it starts right up. I'm thinking there could be some part missing in the carb but not sure. Anything else I should be checking. thx matt

Start with the basics

Is it fuel, spark or compression?

IS IT FUEL?

Remove the filter, use a flashlight if necessary, and look down the carb throat. Work the throttle and look for an instant stream of fuel from the acellerator pump. If nothing, crank for 5-10 seconds and try again.

IS IT SPARK?

It is IMPORTANT to understand that there are TWO sources of power for Mopar igniton........one with the key in "run" and one in "start."

Buy or rig a spark test gap in the coil wire. Test using the KEY. You should get a nice hot spark. If not, substitute something for the coil wire, as the coil wire might be bad

Remove and examine the plugs. Are they fuel fowled? oil fowled? What do they look like?

Inspect the interior of the dist. cap and the rotor, for moisture, grease, "strike damage," etc.

Is it COMPRESSION? (Or has the cam timing slipped?) Save this for last, but run a compression check. The service manual has procedures to estimate whether the timing chain has slipped

If you can prime it and it'll start right up, my bet is on the accelerator pump. It may just need to be rebuilt. Key is like 67Dart273 said, look down throat and you should see a good shot of fuel when you work the throttle.

Did you figure it out? I am having the same problem, wondering if its a fuel pump or carb prob. acts like it has no gas in carb then after cranking on it for a while it fires up. once it does it starts fine until it sits for a good while.

The question to ask here for a proper answer is. How long has the car sat before this condition happens? After a couple of weeks, this will happen. The gas in the bowl and motor evaporates and you have to refill the bowls in order to get it to start. The squirt bottle shot to get it started is enough to get it running where it re-fills the bowls. Either install a switched electrical pump to prime the system or just do the bottle trick.

-
Back