-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for a set of 198 slant six connecting rods. Either reconditioned, or in condition to be redone. Had a set that the machine shop totally screwed up. Can't use the K-1 or Molner rods, as they are for floating pins, and my pistons are for press fit.

Looking for a set of 198 slant six connecting rods. Either reconditioned, or in condition to be redone. Had a set that the machine shop totally screwed up. Can't use the K-1 or Molner rods, as they are for floating pins, and my pistons are for press fit.
Is that the set you told me about some time ago? How the hell did they screw them up? Are they going to compensate you for the cost of replacements? Geeze! that sucks.

Didn't inspect the rods, after I got them. They actually screwed up 2 sets. One set didn't have the caps matched to the rods, and the parting lines have a step.
The other set they resized the big end, and them installed the ARP studs. The slightly larger shank of the ARP bolt, slightly "pushed" the bolt hole into the big end, deforming it. Another shop, said, he thinks he can save these rods, but the first set are garbage.
So, still looking for a set of rods.

Didn't inspect the rods, after I got them. They actually screwed up 2 sets. One set didn't have the caps matched to the rods, and the parting lines have a step.
The other set they resized the big end, and them installed the ARP studs. The slightly larger shank of the ARP bolt, slightly "pushed" the bolt hole into the big end, deforming it. Another shop, said, he thinks he can save these rods, but the first set are garbage.
Ouch!
What engine numbers might have the 198 rods? An airplane customer and friend of mine owns a very large salvage yard. He has quite a few slants out there.
Norm

I've seen that happen on slant 6 rods once before. The guy had the wrong rod bolts. There are two different part numbers.

The oe rods had a salvage processs, brazing on copper to build up then machine back to size the big ends if they were machined oversized.
That maybe a way to fix the rods that had the caps out of order, basically get the caps back right, braise up the large diameter and re cut to size.
For the rods that have the bolt hole issue, the rods are steel, a good welder should be able to MIG in the defect, and then again re cut the flats to size.
The MS that goofed these should be footing the bill.

I've seen that happen on slant 6 rods once before. The guy had the wrong rod bolts. There are two different part numbers.
I am aware of the two different part numbers. There is one part number for the 170-198-225 forged crank rods. The other part number is for the 225 cast crank rods. I supplied the bolts.

Ouch!
What engine numbers might have the 198 rods? An airplane customer and friend of mine owns a very large salvage yard. He has quite a few slants out there.
Norm
The 198 engine was installed in 1970 to 1974 cars. The only way to tell a 198 from a 225 externally is the number on the ID pad, on the block deck between the #1 sparl plug and the alternator. Among other numbers, a 198 would/could be stamped 198 or 19, or 98. A 225 engine would/could be stamped 22 or 225 or 25.
The rods have 2951260 as a casting number

I knew about the numbers on the "pad," but I thought the engines could be identified by the casting numbers on the block? I've known from in the past, that the numbers on the pad are not always legible, or milled off, as it was in my 225.
Norm

I knew about the numbers on the "pad," but I thought the engines could be identified by the casting numbers on the block? I've known from in the past, that the numbers on the pad are not always legible, or milled off, as it was in my 225.
Norm
225 blocks, and 198 blocks are identical, and have the same casting numbers. The only difference between the 198 and 225 engines are:
1) crank (stroke)
2) rods (length)
Maybe cam specs, but I don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back