1982 Lean Burn Carb ID

-

pastorjeep

Reaction score
Some of you guys may have already spotted the welcome post, so I don't want to bore you with that. Feeling the Pain
What I need is help with the carb. The truck runs great except the accelerator pump in the carb is dead, which I kinda expected. She needs a little shot of carb clean for a first start, and a gentle foot on the throttle to keep from stumbling. I know most people are going to suggest a new carb and I agree, but that will have to wait for a super six setup. So for now I just want to ID this carb and get a rebuild kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can we at least get a picture? Otherwise it's........

CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

:lol: Well I guess so. I figured someone had the factory manual that would list the part for the lean burn 3.7.

:lol: Well I guess so. I figured someone had the factory manual that would list the part for the lean burn 3.7.
At the risk of smartassary.....and I'm not being, you should have one, since you have the truck. It would make life for you and diagnosis in the future much easier. I am only guessing it's a Carter of some sort, but it may also be a Holley, so a picture would aid us greatly.

Yeah, we have had the truck two weeks. There are a lot of things that we will have eventually. Thanks for the input.

I looked at the Rock Auto site. They show the Carter BBD and the Holley 1945 both, so it appears it could have had either. Picture dangit. Picture. LOL

...and Walker #64362 is the part number for the Carter accelerator pump. Walker #64334 for the Holley. But, they are both out of stock. Maybe with those part numbers you can find something though.

Dodge 1982 truck with 225 and 1 bbl carb. would have been a Holley. Chrysler rebuild kit part number is 4267120. Holley usually stamps the carburetor number on the body of the carb. Knowing that number we could be sure its the original carburetor. Search eBay for 4267120. Also you can search Rockauto with that part number. They show the Chrysler number interchanges with Standard 1224a.

is pcv valve hooked up correctly? my 79 been running alot like you describe and pcv valve done came apart, popped another one in and it quit starving for fuel idling and just off idle stumbling, rolling back into it after a turn or such.... just a thought,.. need pics to see what ya got or we can just keep tossing guess's at ya!

There will be a stamping on the body of the carb and those would also have the original Mopar PN (7 digit) and a R number which would be the Holley number which would be the carb number any parts store would want to help IF the carb and get the right kit.
I've had good luck the last few years finding carb kits cheap on ebay, but 2 things... You have to be willing to look past the first page of listings for anything there (prices are wild, I've found the same thing range greatly /don't necessarily but the first of any item you see) and. Look elsewhere for part numbers first so you can narrow down your search. Look at rock auto (also a great place to buy) and your pars store online catalogs and get the part number, often ebay has a part number interchange built in, you put in your part number and it will bring up equivalent pats from other brands, and will often have a list of vehicles the parts on that listing will fit.
I saw somewhere you are looking into a super 6 swap, do yourself a huge favor and look into a lean burn-ectomy at the same time. LOTS of talk about that here if you search...

Thanks guys. It is the Holley carb. Rebuild kit ordered. I will also replace the PCV valve as it looks original. New calipers, pads and hoses for the front and turned rotors. Alternator stopped working and it is the voltage reg. New one going on today. We ran it for about an hour the other day and it did start steaming out of the exhaust. So the po was probably right it's going to need a head gasket. As soon as we have everything road worthy I will pull the head.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It is the Holley carb. Rebuild kit ordered. I will also replace the PCV valve as it looks original. New calipers, pads and hoses for the front and turned rotors. Alternator stopped working and it is the voltage reg. New one going on today. We ran it for about an hour the other day and it did start steaming out of the exhaust. So the po was probably right need going to need a head gasket. As soon as we have everything road worthy I will pull the head.
I would do some real diagnosis before I pulled the head. It's not a bad job, but if that's not what it is, then you may have the same issue after you get done.

Until we can get some run time I won't know more. Right no the leaking radiator is the priority after fuel system. Still need to drop the tank and clear the lines or run new ones. Can't even blow through the lines with shop air, clogged solid. Then radiator which is leaking pretty good. Since I can't find one online I am going to try my hand at brazing this one.

Until we can get some run time I won't know more. Right no the leaking radiator is the priority after fuel system. Still need to drop the tank and clear the lines or run new ones. Can't even blow through the lines with shop air, clogged solid. Then radiator which is leaking pretty good. Since I can't find one online I am going to try my hand at brazing this one.
GO on youtube and look for some copper pipe sweating videos. Very much the same thing. I figured it out. If I can anybody can.

Thought I would share a little update. We pulled the bed to see why we couldn't get fuel from the tank. Well...

20230528_163141[1].jpg

20230528_163136[1].jpg

20230528_163132[1].jpg

Looks like some big time experience there, how bout I bring my 85 to ya for the same treatment?

-
Back