1986 la 360

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
What carburetor were they equipped with? I have a malfunctioning 1406 Eddie on my Ramcharger and would much rather go back stock with it. Dad couldn't remember 100%, but seems to think it was an electronic thermoquad.

Posted via Topify on Android

Weren't those 2 bbls?

Why not go with a Holley?

Here's a link for a nice Holley 600 vac secondaries with an electric choke. It should be a bolt on replacement for the Eddy.

I have used this one on my daily drivers for years and have had great service from them. Just hook the electric choke to a good 12 V source and adjust it and you are ready to go. Even in cold winter weather.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/homo41noflca.html

Thanks karl. No, I don't believe the late 80's 360's hot the 2 bbl as an option. At least not mine. My buddy has the stock 4bbl intake that I let him keep so he could use it on the 318 he's building. I wouldn't mind a good carter or holley. The trouble is finding one around this Area that hasn't been molested for dirt track racers. :/ i can't afford to throw down the $300 for a new one either. Pretty much damned if I do and damned if I don't lol

For 4 barrel applications I believe they used Quadrajets from 1986 through 1992(?), or whenever they went to a throttle body fuel injection set-up. I have one of those carbs, but I need to take a closer look and it probably needs to be gone through.

those eddies are probably the EASIEST carbs in the world to clean , set the floats , and tune.
I have "rebuilt" them without even using a carb kit

Robbys and I have had this thing to 3 different carb techs to have tuned and jets changed and such with no luck. Nobody can get this thing tuned right. It's got this wicked stumble on take off and if you go to pull a s large hill and have to really give It throttle, it stumbles and falls on its face. Done this since day 1. I told him to pull it and nd take it back as I think it's a lemon, but he insisted on using it. He put it on there when we lived in Colorado the first time about 6yrs ago I guess. I wanted to say 9, but I haven't been with my wife that long lol

Make sure float drop is set to 15/16". Start with the acc pump in the middle hole. Move to top or bottom hole if needed.

Most "carb techs" dont check float drop but it is vital for an eddy to work right. Also the first step up on eddy carbs is a rod change NOT jets. Put it back to stock and reset float drop.

Check your vacuum advance canister on your distributor. That might be a vacuum leak. Leave it capped at the carb to rule it out.

Make sure float drop is set to 15/16". Start with the acc pump in the middle hole. Move to top or bottom hole if needed.

Most "carb techs" dont check float drop but it is vital for an eddy to work right. Also the first step up on eddy carbs is a rod change NOT jets. Put it back to stock and reset float drop.

Check your vacuum advance canister on your distributor. That might be a vacuum leak. Leave it capped at the carb to rule it out.

Good to know. I'll check it out and see what they did/didn't do,

Underneath the squirters is a check ball and a brass cylinder looking thing. I have removed the brass thing and reinserted just the check ball on my 1407 and it worked miracles on my stumble. You might try that on yours just for giggles. As stated above, try changing metering rods instead of jets.

Mainly for the 360's
I believe about 1985 was the last year for the smog-era Thermoquads. From 1986 to 1989-90 Dodge used the Rochester M4MC series Quadrajets (That's what my old 1988 Dodge Power ram had originally).
I still have the old Quadrajet in my garage in pieces. I know nothing about these things so I stuck on the Carter AFB 625 so I could pass emissions.

318's kinda did their own thing, they were the first to have roller cams in 1985 and first to have TBI in (I think about) 86' or 87' and first to have the Magnum version at 1992

Quadrajet is similar in function to a TQ. Carters just seem to work, and that's about it. Nothing exciting. Holleys are so modular, its hard to find one that's still stock and runs like a OEM Carb. I personally liked the TQ replacement Holley spread bore DP Carb. Tiny primarys, massive secondaries. Best idle of any carb I owned short of my NOS Nikki 2bbl Mazda Carb. Idles like buttah...

There are good folks on here that can rebuild and tune Thermoquads. Some even sell rebuilt ones I believe. Harms and I believe RustyRatRod are the ones people refer alot. I'm sure there are others here.
Ebay is another source. (make sure they are reputable)

Speaking of which I'll be on the market for one soon.

My buddy brought me what is supposed to be the original carb yesterday. its a rochester quadraet that is also has GM on it. Not what i was hoping to see in the box, but its better than nothing. Needs to be rebuilt though i believe. its been sitting in the edelbrock box since 2009. The part number comes back as a Mopar carburetor. Do any of you know the CFM Rating?

P/N: 17085408

Son of a B!tch. Took the pictures right side up and they STILL turn sideways lol

Attachments

• 20141120_191553.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 20141120_191609.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 20141120_191623.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 20141120_191640.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 20141120_191656.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 345
  • 20141120_191745.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 20141120_191812.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 350
Qjets came in two basic CFMs 750 and 800 , you have a model M4ME used on Doge trks. 1983 to 1988 - V8 engs. It has the key source elect. choke . Will work well if you have a spread bore intake

What are the pros/cons of the 9292s 1980' s truck 360 thermoquads. I know they're an emissions carb with the bowl vent on the back.

Attachments

• 20141128_100203.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 314
Mopar Daddy,
Had that same Q Jet on my dads Ramcharger worked great. That Q jet will work good with the cold winter there. Exspecialy the cold mornings in the canyon. Pros for the Q jet (I do run thermo Q to)
tons of parts even in the bone yards you mentioned money ( Cortez had a big one south of town on truck bypass)
electronic choke, (Nice Plus)
small primary, large secondary
easy to tune.
Did I SAY cheap parts
Thermoquad did not have electronic choke on those 80 truck ones that I have seen. So you would have to find all the linkage and stuff unless you got it off the donor.

Looks like that Q jet has manual choke. Chuck I have two or three Q jets on the shelf. We can go back to the electric set up and I would be more than happy to go through your Q jet if that is the route you want to take. You'll just need a kit for it and I'll take care of the rest. I've done a few 30, 40 in my days. Bring it next time your in town and we'll look it over. Check that the throttle shafts aren't supper sloppy as I don't have the equipment to bore and re-bush the throttle shafts.
Larry :glasses7:

Attachments

• nov14 005.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 318
I am concerned about the lean burn aspect of it. I read that there is supposed to be a module/computer in the fender to control it. That is an item I do not have. The point went through and trashed all the emissions equipment that was on it (CA truck). That is about the only thing that would truly stop me from using it.

What dizzy is in it? If you say it was a lean burn/computer control, wouldn't it have a locked/fixed no advance dizzy? If it was gutted of all it's emissions by PO, was the dizzy swapped? Maybe late asking this...
Larry :glasses7:

I actually dont recall. i need to look. I keep meaning to check timing and keep forgetting :banghead:

-
Back