1986 la 360

-
I know lol I checked it several months ago when my buddy still owned it, but I can't remember what it was set at now lmao

I just went out and confirmed. It is a single pick up vacuum dizzy like I thought

Like others have said; You have got to get the timing sorted out first. You can throw a dozen carbs at it, but if the timing isnt at least close, they wont stick.
-If youre bringing the entire car to the mechanic and he hasnt put a light on it to prove the timing yet, I would be looking for a new man.
-If youre bringing him just the carb with instructions to rebuild, then its a little early to fault him.A stock rebuilt carb may work on a stock engine that is mechanically sound. Some deviations from OEM may require mods. Tired engines can be a challenge.
-Personally, I love TQs, but they cant always be made to work, because of the lack of tuning parts.Q-jets are well supported.Holleys can be made to work on almost anything, but they are not the best at low-speed applications,or economy.They are, however,an excellent track carb.
-Now that Eddy of yours seems well matched to your application, and is very well supported.I wouldnt be too quick to replace it. You just need to take the time to learn it or find someone who already knows it. There are several posters here who do know them well and are willing to help.It really is a great street carb.
-Sometimes you just have to plunk down the money and pay a TECHNICIAN that knows his stuff. An hour or two of his time will usually get it all sorted out,unless of course the engine package has issues; which shouldnt take him long to figure out.
-Cheers, AJ

Little 3/16 port on right(passenger) front. Ported/timed vacuum.

Attachments

• 1406_edelbrock.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 160
Those of you running eddies, which vac port are you using for the dizzy adv?

Use one above the base. Verify with a vacuum gauge at idle. No vac at idle-gets vacuum off idle. That's what you want.

If it has high vacuum at idle, then it is idle vacuum. That's not what you want for a distributor.

It was on that one and had very little vacuum. Timing light read 9.5 btc hooked up and not. Put it on the other one which had strong vacuum. Off idle stumble is almost gone. I know. It's always the easy ****. lol! Still has a nasty miss, but I'm pretty sure that's in the plug wires. Cap, rotor, wires are only from 09?! Lmao

Use one above the base. Verify with a vacuum gauge at idle. No vac at idle-gets vacuum off idle. That's what you want.

If it has high vacuum at idle, then it is idle vacuum. That's not what you want for a distributor.

I'll switch it back and play with it more. Everything else seems to be doing what it should. :wack:

So whats the centrifugal doing? How much power timing, and when does it start, and how quick is it coming in, and at what rpm is it done by?
-And how much timing is in the can and at what vacuum does it start, and how much vacuum does it take to bring it all in?
-Its all well and good to say it has 9.5* at idle, but if thats all it ever gets its gonna be a lazy dog or a pig or both. we need the rest of the story.
-At about what RPM does it stumble when climbing that hill you talked about in post#7?
-What gear ratio are you running?
-Is you kick-down mechanism working and set about right?

From here, Id guess you have two problems;A) faulty pump or pump action, and B) faulty secondary tip-in. This is assuming the timings are all correctly operating and dialed in.Other fellas have touched on the pump issue.

I don't have a good timing light so getting the total timing isn't gonna happen unfortunately.
As far as the stumble goes, it's immediate when taking off from a stop light/sign typically. It didn't do it today after tinkering with it a bit mor, but it's definitely gutless.
GR is 3.21
Kick down SEEMS/APPEARS to be set correctly.
Unfortunately I just don't have the tools at need at this time or have access to them without making a 45 min trip 1 way at 4.75mpg. i simply can't afford to make that trip in the truck with the holidays upon us. So I have to do things the hard way for the time being.

Before you do anything else make sure the engine is coming up to temperature. Id be looking at 190*ish or better. A cold carbureted engine is not going to be happy.
-In my experience, a lot of times when the carb is blamed, its really an engine issue, or an ignition issue. The carb is totally vacuum dependent. If the engine isnt making the vacuum that the carb was designed to operate at,it just wont work right. You would have to find and repair the vacuum problem, or re-engineer the carb to work with the new vacuum references.Of course the latter wouldnt help the power or the fuel economy.Now, Im not saying that your engine is toast;Just that before you spend hours tuning that carb, or throwing parts at it,maybe its time to step back and evaluate the engine. I read that the carb has been worked over 3 times already.And you also talked about an engine miss. And the 4.75 mpg. And falling flat on tip-in, and under load. Its just so many things all piled up.
-When this happens, I like to go back to the basics. The proper order of diagnostics is; A) compression, and B) Ignition, and C) carb.
-So start with a compression test and/or cylinder leak-down test.Lets see what we have to work with.
-BTW the terrible fuel consumption is a telling sign of a lazy engine or a really bad tune.
-If the engine is good, Id check the ignition system. Since the plugs are out, this is the time to read them and probably change them.The wires can be ohmed out and the cap and rotor inspected.If you have carbon-core resistance wires, the ohm test may not be totally accurate.If theyre baked hard or brittle I would recommend to change them. The cap must be checked for moisture,carbon tracking,terminal burn-off, and cracks.Moisture is an easy fix.Carbon tracks can be scraped off, but its a temporary fix as the tracks always come back.The last two make the cap scrap. Rotors seem to last forever.Sometimes with high-powered coils the tip burns off. I have a feeling that your dist. is not advancing properly. Pop the cap and give the rotor a twist. Be gentle. It should rotate about 1/4 inch to as much as 3/8 as measured at the metal point, and should snap back when you release it. If not its the wrong dist. for you or its seized somehow.
-If the plugs came out black, that tells a lot about the 4.75mpg.If they came out normal check all the white insulators for cracks. I have seen a cracked insulator not affect the idle, but as soon as a light load was placed on the engine it would miss.
-So now you have proved the compression is good,and you have brought the ignition up to speed. Finally,if the engine still has problems and the timing has been dialed in,its time to work the carb.
-But the timing systems have to be proved.
-If you follow these steps;Compression, Ignition,Carburation, I can practically guarantee you will find the problem(s)

-You may not be stuck yet. Theres still the old-fashioned way.
-Heres what you do; Go out and crank that dist. counter clockwise about 1/4 inch to advance it, then warm that baby up.While its warming up, pull the vacuum line off the carb and pull a good vacuum on it to the dist. While youre doing that note that the system is working and that the rpm rises. After the test, return the hose to its proper spark-port vacuum source, which has little to no vacuum at idle, but begins pulling vacuum as the throttle is opened. Once warm, take it for a spin, using part throttle only. Notice any improvement? If yes, give it a bit more rpm and increasing throttle. If you hear the dreaded engine rattle,also called ping, back off the throttle. If you cannot hear the engine over the road-noise or exhaust system, It may be better to wait for the better timing lite.But if no rattle appears, try a bit more advance and re-test.You can continue this until rattle does manifest, then retard it to the last no-rattle test.Now re-check the idle timing with the lite. If its less than 20* or maybe 24*, leave it there. Shut off the truck. Restart it several times to make sure the starter is well able to spin it over. If the starter has problems, back the timing off a couple of degrees. This will get you by until you can perform the proper tests with a good working lite. This is not the final set-up. And remember :
..................RATTLE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.
-I know this is a long story and probably not what you wanted to hear, BUT; the tests are not hard, not expensive, not overly time consuming and will get results.
-Your engine may have 160 plus psi compression and 5% leakdown, and a perfectly functioning ignition system. But until you prove it,you or three other guys, could be just chasing you tails. Cheers AJ

Thanks aj and everyone else as well. I didn't know how out of touch with carbs I was until now lol. I finally have time today to mess with it. That is what I'm doing now. The cap seems ok, but it's beat to shot from the po. So that and the rotor and wires and plugs will be changed asap. Holidays are here so we will have to work in baby steps. After tinkering on it the other day, I can definitely notice an improvement in the overall driveability. So progress IS being made. All be it very little, but baby steps lol.

Wow. Timing made a big difference. I have the timing mark hidden under the water pump at the moment
I'm going to drive it for a few days and make some tweaks to see what it really likes. Not TWERKS Larry....

Pics of the cap/rotor

Attachments

• 20141202_155436.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20141202_155441.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20141202_155503.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 124
Thanks karl. I don't currently own a vacuum gauge, but thanks to 63 morepar it sounds like that is soon to change

Theres no vacuum can on it. And worse,no centrifugal advance. Thats a lean-burn dist.
-Soooooo.I think I know somebody whos going dizzy shopping
-See, back in post#21, you said the PO trashed all the lean-burn stuff. Well he missed the dizzy. And apparently, so did you.And three other guys.
-In the event that the dizzy module is still in there, and the PO didnt actually ditch it all;Then waitaminute. You will need to prove that the module is or is not working. If it is working, then you may not need a new dizzy.Otherwise,go get a proper distributor kit, and lets getrdone.
-And now you know why; in post#38 I was inquiring about what the advance systems were doing.And why I said that if all youre getting is 9.5* advance, she would be a lazy dog or a pig or both.
-So as a stop-gap, go back and re-read the "old fashioned way".That will get you by until your new dizzy arrives. It will certainly run better at 24* than at 9.5*

It has vacuum advance. I unplugged it at the dizzy before adjusting the timing. I cough a glimpse of it in this photo. I highly doubt it disproves it being a lean burn dizzy as this is a cali truck. Where would the ecu be mounted? It's not inside the fenders. Also, what re-writing needs to be done? Perhaps I only THOUGHT hei swap would be a walk in the park.

Attachments

• 20141202_153925.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 125
-
Back