1989-82 360 LA Specs - Bolt on modifications

-

superstock64polara

Reaction score
Hi folks, can anyone provide some specs regarding the last of the LA 360's manufactured between 1989-92.
Looking to buy what appears to be a good running '89-92 360 motor, want to use a Weiand 8022, an AVS2 650, 1-5/8" long tube headers and replace the OEM hyd roller with something else. Any information would be useful, thanks.

Buy it.

Not all of the roller motors had a roller cam in them from the factory.
The 2, I have came with 308 heads. 1 with a roller cam and 1 without

Last edited:
Everything for that “LA” is a bolt on and there is no caveat to be concerned about.

The hydraulic roller cam equipped 360s are HD truck, van or Ramcharger models and come with a windage tray, HV oil pump, and roller timing set. If it has a hydraulic roller cam core can go to around .330-.340 lobe lift at Oregon cam grinders, which gives up to .510 lift.

One thing to be aware of ,depending on your cam and head combinations,watch your pushrod clearance.

If the build is going to be performance orientated & useful rpm range is 6000 or higher, I would use the 800 AVS.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply, great information.
How about some real-world experience with these mills, hydraulic roller cam recommendations, what is the advertised static comp with one of these 360's?
Do 308 heads with a little tweaking support 400HP?
Keep the great information coming.

Cheers, Chris

:popcorn:watching. I picked up one of these.
I picked one up as well.
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply, great information.
How about some real-world experience with these mills, hydraulic roller cam recommendations, what is the advertised static comp with one of these 360's?
Comp ratio I forget. IIRC, under 9.0-1
The cam will depend on many factors.
Tell us about the car and your goal.
Do 308 heads with a little tweaking support 400HP?
Keep the great information coming.

Cheers, Chris
Yes, the head will.

Here are some basic head porting templates if you maintain stock valve sizes.
https://www.bigblockmopar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MoparPortingTemplates-RB_LA_Magnum.pdf
You do want to check for cracks between the valve seats. 308 castings are known for cracking in this area. Head milling yeilds 1cc of reduction / .0048 of cut. The set I’ve measured came in at 66-67 cc’s after a .010 cut, YRMV. Proper head gasket selection goes a long way to help bump compression.

Best bang for the buck 360 available , most have little bore wear , bulletproof roller cam set-up , long snout cam , windage tray and all had rocker shaft oiling . Can run magnum or the excellent #308 heads both of which have the enlarged pushrod tunnels . I'm doing one now with speedpro H405CP pistons , reman magnum heads w/ hughes springs , original cam reground to 515"x 515" and 230 x 236 similar to the 360-380 grind . Needed no machine work , light cylinder hone , home crank polish , cam bearings looked like new , using new melling lifters from rockauto and a ebay chinagap intake . All in for around $2500 & will easily do 400hp.

Last edited:
-
Back