1989 A500 42RH wiring and control help

-

318boy

Reaction score
Hi guys I am in need of help with figuring out wiring harness and control of overdrive and lockup for my dads 1989 A500 42RH install. He is just about to have the tranny rebuilt with an Alto red eagle colene performance deluxe rebuild kit and Transgo HD 2 shift kit and Hughes 2500 stall , will be mated to a fresh 420 hp 318 la .
My question is he is going from a 4 speed standard we pulled and tossed , we have no problem with installing the tranny but need to figure out all parts needed for wiring up lockup and overdrive and switch setup. I suppose we can just go to a junkyard and pull a harness and setup as is , we are not very electrical friendly and see some folks setup switches . Are there any standalone kits for this available or can someone build one we can purchase

The hydraulic ones are simple, a 3 terminal connector. Center one is 12V and the outer ones are lockup and OD. You connect the center pin to each of the outer pins you wish to activate. You will have to search, there used to be a rigup to use vacuum switches to control that on a "non" original rig, but many of us just use switches, and manually control them.

You want to make SURE however, that you release the lockup when trying to come to a stop!!

-
Back