1991 360?

-

RKraft

Reaction score
Ok I decided to go with 360 instead of my 318. I have 91 360 which is a roller block I believe my question is which heads do these years run. I am thinking 408 stroker and maybe running higher compression and E85. not really sure on the last part yet. Biggest question is heads. any info would be great. Street/strip car built 904 and 391 rear.

Randy

That is an excellent choice. That's an LA 360, and runs the LA type heads and valvetrain. You can run any head you want on it, but my recommendation would be the LA valvetrain regardless of head choice.

We have a 91 360 in a dart with some early J heads on it. The only thing we had to have done to the heads was have the holes the push rods go through made bigger. With the hole the stock size the push rods rubbed.
When we put the heads (91 vs J heads) side by side you could see the 91 heads had a lot bigger holes for the push rods.

The answer to your question is "308" cylinder heads.

They Have Smog Ports.
They have 1.88/1.60 valves.
They have weak springs...only good for .450"ish lift.
They have W2 style raised exhaust port floors.
They already have 7/16" enlarged pushrod holes.

They Flow good.

They tend to crack between the valve seats.

They are "Awesome" heads IF they are in good condition.

Congrats on your Longblock Choice....I run a 89 LA 360....(same thing)

The later roller engine did have a relocated pushrod hole do to the angle of said pushrod for the taller roller lifters.

The biggest downfall of the 308 head is the open chamber and the cracking issue. I have never seen a set used that didnt have them. If they are not cracked now, its only a matter of time.

Put a set of RHS heads on and be done with the old stuff and let er RIPPPP

I agree the 596s are good heads. I havent seen too many, but I haven't seen any cracked ones.
But - If you're building basically from a blank sheeet of paper, I would definately ignore any open chamber head, and the RHS LA-X heads are close to the same money as a set of performance 596s without porting, and the RHSs will flow better than 596s in that form.

Should be a hyd roller engne. Good block to start with if it has the spider/dogbones and lifters still in it.

I've nailed those stock hyd rollers to almost 7K without any issues with proper valve train stuff.

The RHS heads would work well on that as well.

-
Back