1998 360 Magnum

-
Sure. The big issue about engine blocks is if there cracked or worn out. Years do not matter that much at all. The earlier blocks said to have thicker walls is a muth debunked, but, even if there was a .220 thicker wall, overboreing the block to much is more of an enemy to long life than anything.

Your block/engine should have a minimal amount of a overbore no matter what it can take. A thick cylinder wall is a strong one and that is what gives best performance and long life. Just because you can overbore a block alot dosen't mean you should. For the sake a a few cubic inchs, it's not worth boreing it out to for a minimal cubic inch gain or the minimal power gain a few cubes will dliver.

The only issues with those blocks in my experience is that the balancers and flexplates are a little tough to come by, but they are available.

The rotating assembly is lighter than a typical 360 which is good. Having a factory hydraulic roller cam is awesome.

Steve

B&M makes the flexplate for this application...easy to get through summit.

You'll be stuck with magnum heads, but this is a good thing. I have a magnum headed low compression "LA" 360 that runs extremely strong. I'd build it!

It says it has dual bolt patterns, and I believe the smaller of the two is for the 904. I know the OEM flexplates on the magnum engines were the same if they had the 518 (727 based) and the 500 (904 based).

You might want to call their tech line to be sure. Otherwise, your other choice is the mopar one for the trucks that has the weight attached to it.

It says it has dual bolt patterns, and I believe the smaller of the two is for the 904.

Yeah, I've actually got a B&M flexplate for a non-magnum 360. The part# comes out 727, but the inner pattern lines up perfectly with my 904 converter. I didn't know if there was some other issue though since they were specific about which transmission its for.

It would be cool if that B&M for a Magnum was useable with a 904. All I've got is the stocker out of the Durango.

-
Back