1st gen. Hemi to small block bell housing adapter?

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 354 Hemi (1959) it came with a trans. adapter.
I was told it was for a small block LA series. I have two small block trans. here, both out of pickup trucks, one is out of '88 Ram 318 (727) the other out of a '91 Dakota 4.7 (40RH).
My dilemma is, the hole pattern on the Bell housing line up with the adapter, but the starter location is much lower.
1) Do truck bell housing have a different starter location?
2) Is this for a 4 sp. small block?
3) Is the starter location on a 833 4 sp., different than an auto trans.?

I had a quick look at the 4 sp. in my Duster, but hard to tell the starter location with the headers blocking the view.

The adapter is a Mohawk part no.1612344, it's 3/4" thick, which is what is req'd , and it has the "DPCD" logo on it.

I've checked Hot Hemi Heads and other web searches and still baffled.

Any light on the subject ?

Have you called hot heads or just checked their website? I suggest calling them.....they know their stuff. If it has the dpcd logo on it it is probably a factory piece to space the trans?

the starter bolts to the bell housing , and you must put the adapter on the hemi block do to different locating dowel locations and the crank on the early hemi hangs out of the block more then a la motor . also early hemi's have eight bolt crank hubs that has no converter hub location for the converter hub locator is part of those adapter kits , you can use the eight bolt 426 hemi converter plate . a friend of mine make up some of hothead's adpter kits . he is a machinist by trade , with a shop in his garage also . pm me if you want his info .

the starter bolts to the bell housing , and you must put the adapter on the hemi block do to different locating dowel locations and the crank on the early hemi hangs out of the block more then a la motor . also early hemi's have eight bolt crank hubs that has no converter hub location for the converter hub locator is part of those adapter kits , you can use the eight bolt 426 hemi converter plate . a friend of mine make up some of hothead's adpter kits . he is a machinist by trade , with a shop in his garage also . pm me if you want his info .

This adapter has the starter hole in it, so that the starter actually bolts onto this adapter/spacer.
It's unlike the Hot Heads one where the adapter contours around the starter and the starter would then bolt to the trans.
Which is yet another reason why I'm questioning this adapter, since it would move the starter 3/4" away from the trans., aside from it being at a lower position.

Have you called hot heads or just checked their website? I suggest calling them.....they know their stuff. If it has the dpcd logo on it it is probably a factory piece to space the trans?

You might be onto something. This was a truck engine, so it could likely be a factory spacer for the trans.
But what's throwing me off is the "MOHAWK" inscription, which is above the DPCD logo.
Which is leading me to believe that this is an adapter made by Mohawk to fit Mopar products.

Last edited:
that plate sounds like a stock spacer does it have two bolt type starter hole in it and a slot out the bottom to the crank hub ? ''yes it does because thats the stock early one that came on the motor from the factory'' . does it have dowel pin holes for the later model 727 in it ? '' no it does not , because it was made to fit the two speed trannies '' . lol . so i asked then answered them because . YOU HAVE A STOCK SPACER PLATE , i've got one in my hand right now . and it will not adapt to the later stuff . but it can be used as a core for someone to make an adapter from . so your not there yet . i'll call my bud and see what he has in stock to do your adaptation , if you like . i do early hemi's , to go racing with . have a few buds that have and do run them . what are you going to do with your low deck 354 hemi , and is it an indust block with wet carb heat heads or car type with exhaust heat to the carb base ?

That's the stock adapter plate. It's worthless unless you plan to run the stock 1950s transmission.

well you can do some welding and machine work to them and get part of the way to being adapted to a 727 . but you still need the crank adapter for the coverter reg hub . so rrr it does have a value . as a thich plate of alloy . as a spacer it worked just as good as 6061 -t ? unless your hip deep in thick alloy plate . lol .

that plate sounds like a stock spacer does it have two bolt type starter hole in it and a slot out the bottom to the crank hub ? ''yes it does because thats the stock early one that came on the motor from the factory'' . does it have dowel pin holes for the later model 727 in it ? '' no it does not , because it was made to fit the two speed trannies '' . lol . so i asked then answered them because . YOU HAVE A STOCK SPACER PLATE , i've got one in my hand right now . and it will not adapt to the later stuff . but it can be used as a core for someone to make an adapter from . so your not there yet . i'll call my bud and see what he has in stock to do your adaptation , if you like . i do early hemi's , to go racing with . have a few buds that have and do run them . what are you going to do with your low deck 354 hemi , and is it an indust block with wet carb heat heads or car type with exhaust heat to the carb base ?

I'm also a machinist , I can machine it myself. But I'd prefer not to, considering it's a stock item (as you mentioned) and someone could use it, or just polish it up and use it for wall art.
So you've answered my question, and now I know what I have.

I'd prefer buying the correct adapter/crank hub spacer/flex plate kit from Hot Hemi Heads.

Thanks for the offer with your bud, but we're a long way away. I'm in Ontario, Canada. Although my sister is a stone throw away from you in California, she's in Campbell.

Last edited:
I'm also a machinist , I can machine it myself. But I'd prefer not to, considering it's a stock item (as you mentioned) and someone could use it, or just polish it up and use it for wall art.
So you've answered my question, and now I know what I have.

I'd prefer buying the correct adapter/crank hub spacer/flex plate kit from Hot Hemi Heads.

Yeah me too. But the cost is holding me up.

i just spoke with my bud and has the adapter you need for $275 + shipping to you . and if you ship your stock he'll go $25 off as a core . just let me know if you wish to do that .

he also makes valley covers with fins and a oil inlet , waterpump adpaters , timing case covers with fins . he was rev enginnering , but now it speed gems . and hotheads carried his products . and this stuff is made in the usa by a citizen of this country .

Yeah me too. But the cost is holding me up.

I'd love to say "money is no object", but it is a bit of an obstacle, more so with the exchange rate I'd be forking out.
I'm still in the learning stages when it comes to these early Hemi's. So I'm not buying anything unless I'm sure that it's what I need.

i just spoke with my bud and has the adapter you need for $275 + shipping to you . and if you ship your stock he'll go $25 off as a core . just let me know if you wish to do that .

I have an adapter lined up, made arrangements to go see it on Sunday. If it doesn't pan out, I'll get in touch with you. Shipping that core from here to California would cost me more then $25., so it's still wall art, unless someone needs it.
Anyway you can send me pics of the adapter, and the valley cover.

i agree with both of you guys , funds are hard to come by for the fun in your life . but pete thats my buds name , is a machinist by trade . and build great stuff for these early hemis dodge desoto and chrysler . so if i can help i will .
DSC03449.JPG
DSC01696.JPG

i'll do that , pics on the way . i'll get with him on saturday . its bed time for him , he's got a 4 am start on his job .

I'll be putting that 354 in a '38 Dodge pick up, I've been S L O W L Y , working on.
Nothing extreme, just a bit of cam, more show then go. Although it's already bored .060" over.:lol:

The problem is, you need much more than an adapter. You need the adapter, flywheel or flexplate, spacer, whichever clutch setup if manual and don't forget the crankshaft has to be tapped for flywheel/flexplate bolts too, as it has through holes with no threads. Add all of that to the fact that no two companies do the job in the same way and it can be problematic. That's why I am holding out for either the Hot Heads kit, or the kit from TR Waters.

the adapter spacer and crank hub reg is supplied from pete , since its a 130 tooth bell housing , you can use the 340 race eight bolt flywheel , mine is a chysler supplied . but its made by mc cloud if i remember correctly . and the flexplace is the same as the 413/426 eight bolt crank . but you can use throw fasteners or i tap the cranks to 1/2-20 , and get better fasteners . but you must redrtill the flywheel to match , its not rocket science , luckly . lol . oh an the early wedges like the rb 383 , has the same bolt pattern without threads as well . not that thoses are seen much .

-
Back