1st hand tips please

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know the exhaust section may be more fitting, but the traffic is very heavy here, so....
I ordered and received the 2.5" header back dual exhaust kit from Jegs, with the welded turbo mufflers ( $ 257.00 kit). If you have first hand experience at installing this kit, anything I should be aware?? such as bad fitment, or a small trick that worked for you?? thanks in advance.

Not really, it fit pretty good on my car. As you are running toward the back, when you are fitting the pieces just in front of the mufflers, make sure to fit them and check the mufflers to make sure they are even, if I recall correctly I had to cut a small piece out of the driver side piece to bring the mufflers inline.

Going out the back, I had to cut about 2 inches off of the driver side tailpipe to even them up.

This was on a 74 Dart Sport.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=278654

Here is a link to when I did mine.

It was an all day job, close to 8 hours.

Oh, and too late now, but you could have ordered the kit, and ordered the mufflers separate and saved 10 bucks. Go figure, eh.

Unless they have figured it out.

Thanks a lot Bad Sport. Sounds pretty straight up...

I loosely hung the tail pipes on the hangers, slid the mufflers on, trimmed the head pipes.
With everything together, I tack welded everything but the mufflers. Took the entire exhaust off and welded the pipes. The only clamps I used was on the mufflers.

The reason I welded the pipes was because a co-worker installed the same exhaust and only clamped the exhaust, he was getting bad exhaust fumes on his car.

I just installed that kit in my car. Pretty strait forward install, maybe you'll have to trim some pipes. I didn't have to except for the tailpipes, it took me about an evening to get it done.

One thing I did was remove the rear seat belt anchors and weld a 5/16 stud to them
This allowed me to bolt the muffler brackets right to that

I found it easier to start from the back and work forward. Get the tailpipes to clear the tank and springs, then set the mufflers where you want them.

I ordered a Jegs kit (non welded mufflers, just the turbo mufflers) first time around on my old '73 Duster. I simply installed it from the mufflers to the header and then the tail Pipes loosely. When it came to the tail pipes, I evened out the pipes as much as possible, cut the length to where I wanted it, reinstalled them, tightened everything up from bumper to muffler. Then added my tips.

I only had to trim the tail pipes and nothing else that I remember was in the way like the seat bolts. I also used the recommended Hooker headers, the dreaded 3 tubes under the steering links.

Being on my back in the driveway, I used a floor jack to get as much height as possible out of the kit as well as keep the mufflers in position.
Here is page 4 of that old thread where you can see under the car; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=4

All in all I rate the kit very good with good sound. It was a stock '79 - 318 with bolt ins and a small cam. This is right after install but not finished, no tips. Cold day video..

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pOYMlTTecTU&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

-
Back