-
Status
Not open for further replies.

60jerry

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need two good 7.25 complete differentials. Need 4.5 bolt circle and A body width. My ‘66 has 2.75 axle from a ‘73 Dart. Car is too sluggish.

My ‘63 Dart wagon has 3. 2 but has small bolt pattern. Switching to disc brakes and I’d like to avoid the adapter/spacer. The 3.2 ratio seems perfect for these Darts. Units in decent condition would be preferred for sure—fairly quiet.

Not having luck looking for a Ford Maverick rear end. With the right ratio I’d surely look onto that.

Not to be silly, but I’d certainly consider an 8.25 of course. 7.25 is OK since these cars are driven mildly. I’m 73 and through with hot rodding. I never was good at hot rodding anyway.

I’m in Denver Colorado and willing to drive some distance. Alaska is not on my drive list. I spent 18 months there in the military and that’s plenty for me.

Jerry in Denver

I would agree with you that a 3:2x ratio is an excellent all around ratio for city and highway in a slant 6 passenger car. What you are seeking is hard to find however because the big bolt 7.25 rears were introduced during the smog reduction era and the vast majority are 2:7x. Have a set of good used 3.23 gears available if you decide to fix yours. Hope you find what your looking for!

I would agree with you that a 3:2x ratio is an excellent all around ratio for city and highway in a slant 6 passenger car. What you are seeking is hard to find however because the big bolt 7.25 rears were introduced during the smog reduction era and the vast majority are 2:7x. Have a set of good used 3.23 gears available if you decide to fix yours. Hope you find what your looking for!
Valiantpatrol,
Yes, I have encountered the problem with 70’s vehicles being geared so high. Some of the A bodies of that era were equipped with better gearing, I suspect when equipped with the OD 833 trans. More AT cars were built, so the stick shift cars are far less common.

You mention a set of 3.23 gears that are good. Do 7.25 gearsets fit all 7.25 units? Are the carriers all the same? Going from 2.76 to 3.23 is a big jump. If all fit then I might need your gears. I have learned that the axles don’t interchange and the flanges are too small to redrill to 4.5 bolt circle.

Thanks for the response.
Jerry

Some one saw my gear reference and inquired/purchased my gear set, so no longer available. Yes the 3.2x gears will fit the 2.7x carrier. However there is a point, year unknown, where the 7.25 ring gear changes from 5/16" mounting bolts to 3/8" bolts based on what I've been told. No proof/no way for me to verify.

Some one saw my gear reference and inquired/purchased my gear set, so no longer available. Yes the 3.2x gears will fit the 2.7x carrier. However there is a point, year unknown, where the 7.25 ring gear changes from 5/16" mounting bolts to 3/8" bolts based on what I've been told. No proof/no way for me to verify.
Thanks for that info on the mounting bolt sizes. Guess I will need to do more studying. On a parallel note, I would be willing to go for the 8.25 diff if it would be the correct A body width. Still need 3.2x ratio and 5x4.5 bolt circle. Ain’t this fun?
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back