2 340 questions

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
What's the big deal about a roller 340. My 340 has a solid roller cam (Crower). People have told me it is not easy to make a 340 roller. Mine was installed by the previous owner. Question 2 is about my heads. I know my car has the original engine and was told my heads were the stock heads ported and flowed. My heads do not have an X next to the plug holes like I have seen on some X heads. My heads have nothing (may be a faint X on one head.

I am good friends with the old owner and have known the car for over 20 years. He got it in 83. 68 340, 4 speed Formula S with 58,000 miles. 11.78 in the 1/4.

I'm a converted Chevy guy and don't know a thing about a small block Mopar.

It is not that big a deal to put a roller in a SB Chrysler. The only thing that must be done is to restrict the oil to the lifters because some roller lifters will uncover the oil holes in the lifter bores. Two ways of doing this. 1 use the Mopar oil restriction kit which involves installing a tube in the passenger side oil passage that feeds the lifters and a few other mods or 2 have the lifter bores bushed which is more expensive. Also should run a bronze distributer gear. It is hard to tell what you have for heads without numbers.

The "big thing"? dont know what you mean. You dont see as many mopars with them, because the cost is high, and the lifter angles are terrible, so the valvetrain is much less stable at the rpm ranges most roller cams will operate in. There can be other oiling issues too, butt hat's the main reason you dont see them. Now, you see more because the larger stroke engines really make good use of a larger cam, but at lower rpms. The X may have been machinied off when the factory drilled the spark plug holes..Wouldnt be the first time that happened.

-
Back