2.94 gears... how painful will it be?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Just finishing up my 350hp or so 360 now. Starting the 4 speed swap as well. How painful will a 2.94 gear be? I plan to drive the car a bit. Never at the strip. I would like it to be fun to drive though. I have 2.76, 2.94 and a 3.91 chunk here. With the tire size I have I’m not even going to consider the 3.91. I’m looking for a 3.55 open candidate to SG right now. But in the meantime.... any experience with this gear in a 4 speed small block Duster ?

I used to drive from Pittsburgh Pa to Denver Co.(about 1600 miles) in a 70 340 4 speed Duster. Used the 2.94's and ran about 62 mph (back when the speed limit was 55) got around 20 MPG. I liked it as a all around gear.Even drag raced at Bandimere. I found some 3.91's.Would switch it out for 3.91's in the apartment parking lot to go racing. I was allot younger then. Anyway 2.94's were good for my Duster and me.

I think I’ll regret it. Think I may end up with 3.23’s in it. A compromise.

you wont even hardly notice the difference between the 2.94 and the 3.23

If you have a long duration cam it might be lazy at lo rpm.I have a 2.94 gear set i will be trying when cruzing weather returns.I think it should work great...my cam is very short duration and will fry the tires with 3.23 gears.

Years ago, there was a guy from north Georgia who would drive down to Reynolds drag strip to run his second generation Charger. It ran consistent low 11s and had a 2.94 gear. I always liked that car. He had a hell of a big block in it. I never found out what the displacement was, but it sounded great.

I think a 3.23 ratio will be just what you are looking for. Easy on cruise and fun around town.

The 3.23 is my all around favorite gear. Without overdrive, it is a little high RPM on the interstate......IF you keep up with traffic, but if you go 55-60 it's not bad.

I have a 2.94 in my 67 GT "decoy" with the little teen. It will smoke tires and has been driven to Carlise and Cruisin the coast while getting 15 mpg running with traffic. I agree with Rusty that my favorite is 3:23

I'd go with 3.55. not bad on the highway depending on tire size and still performs when you put your foot in it. 3.91 or above is only for around town or the track. Or even better would be 3.23 with a O.D. Mopar 4 speed.

Last edited:
2.94 was the standard gear in a LOT of 66/67 B body cars.

My 66 poly 318 and 2.94 whupped a LOT of gm 350 cars with a 3.08 rear.

727 vs th350 though.

-
Back