2 barrel intake

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
While perusing the Slant Six Racing Manual, I saw the instructions for modifying a 1bbl intake into a 2bbl. If "Chrysler engineers" did the research, why is the carb mounted perpendicular to the 2bbl prodution manifold?

2 barrel mounted in the direction of the 318's made sense then I guess since it allows for easier kickdown mounting and such... IMO

I have extra manifolds so I was thinking about giving it a try. I think I could come up with a throttle linkage, but was kinda hesitant about the kickdown. What carb did they reccommend? I guess I didn't read as carefully as I thought :(

They cut the raised portion off with a hacksaw? I got 2 1bbls and an aluminum 2bbl that I can give a shot, The AL one is gonna get a 4bbl adapter welded to it while the 2 1bbls were going to get cut up and merged into a 2X1 if I can find out who is gonna weld up cast iron. Course I could just cut the flanges off and run them into a plenum and use that for my EFI future project. Dont let the kickdown scare you, you can run a bike brake cable opposite the throttle cable and round the back of the trans to pull the kickdown just like you can push it with a rigid linkage. If a loose bike cable looks bad, use a long piece of small brake line with bends in it and put the cable inside it. You can route it as you like. Go for it.

They cut the raised portion off with a hacksaw? I got 2 1bbls and an aluminum 2bbl that I can give a shot, The AL one is gonna get a 4bbl adapter welded to it while the 2 1bbls were going to get cut up and merged into a 2X1 if I can find out who is gonna weld up cast iron. Course I could just cut the flanges off and run them into a plenum and use that for my EFI future project. Dont let the kickdown scare you, you can run a bike brake cable opposite the throttle cable and round the back of the trans to pull the kickdown just like you can push it with a rigid linkage. If a loose bike cable looks bad, use a long piece of small brake line with bends in it and put the cable inside it. You can route it as you like. Go for it.

or lockar kick down cable

I was also thinking of making a 2 x 1bbl out of 1 bbls. What where you thinking of for carb placement? Also, my exhaust manifold was cracked clean through. I used brazing rods and torch for that repair. I also cut out the flapper and closed off the pivot holes. It has held fast for years now.

This is not a hard project. I ground the manifold pad down with a 4 1/2 grinder, checking it to keep it flat. Then mounted an aluminum plate with a thin layer on JB Weld between as a sealer for any imperfections. The plate is actually bolted on tho. Here are some pics. Been running it for about 2 years. Dennis

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae170/obe1kanoby/

This is not a hard project. I ground the manifold pad down with a 4 1/2 grinder, checking it to keep it flat. Then mounted an aluminum plate with a thin layer on JB Weld between as a sealer for any imperfections. The plate is actually bolted on tho. Here are some pics. Been running it for about 2 years. Dennis

http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae170/obe1kanoby/
What did you do for carb and linkage?

I knew that was coming. I used parts of the original linkage and fabricated some of my own. Like I said, it's been working well for about 2 years now. I just now added a couple of picture to the link. Hope they help. Dennis

By the way, understand that the JB Weld was just a gasket/sealer and the adapter I made was actually bolted to the manifold. I would never trust that stuff to hold the adapter on.

Oh yeah, the carb was a brand new Holley that SSDan suggested that was on ebay at the time I was doing this. Don't remember the exact number but will try to look it up if you want. Any 2 barrel that worked on the 318 should be fine I would think.

You put a divider in there? Thats what I was thinking, grind flat, bolt and seal. My 2 would try and look like
offy_5041.jpg

but the collection of runners wont give me the correct flange clocking, there is no forward sweep with a 1-3 flange config, you know? You cant even turn them over..only other option would be to cut them all at about 2 inches and make a short ram plenum with a TB on the front or top, damn the distribution problems! Seen one made with some sort of cylinder...That or just a crappy Ebay Holley pro-jection 2bbl version grafted to the original 2bbl intake. but finding one cheaper than a boneyard beer-keg TB and a megasquirt will be a search. I like the DIY MEgasquirt approach myself.

A buddy of mine who knows carbs well suggested the divider. one barrel per three cylinders...guaranteed. If it didn't work, I could always remove it but have found no reason to. It REALLY responds to carb adjustments.
I like that two single barrels for the WOW factor but linkage would be interesting and getting them set. Is the manifold divided three and three? Looks like it might be. Dennis

For hotter applications, I bet a Holley 500 2 barrel would work very well.

You put a divider in there? Thats what I was thinking, grind flat, bolt and seal. My 2 would try and look like
offy_5041.jpg

but the collection of runners wont give me the correct flange clocking, there is no forward sweep with a 1-3 flange config, you know? You cant even turn them over..only other option would be to cut them all at about 2 inches and make a short ram plenum with a TB on the front or top, damn the distribution problems! Seen one made with some sort of cylinder...That or just a crappy Ebay Holley pro-jection 2bbl version grafted to the original 2bbl intake. but finding one cheaper than a boneyard beer-keg TB and a megasquirt will be a search. I like the DIY MEgasquirt approach myself.
Now this is gonna be a little hard to explain...has anyone ever tried to put an extra carb NEXT to the original? Kinda like an outrigger...there would be no need to move the kickdown linkage...and I think the throttle linkage would be dirt simple to fabricate...

Thanks for the kind words StrokerScamp. I really want to neaten up the linkage some more(I like the eye candy stuff) and make it look more "finished" but it works so well that I just keep driving it.
By the way, the car does look a lot better than the pics I have posted. That was a couple of years ago but it will always be a work in progress. Just rebuilt the front end and put a dual master cylinder on it this winter. Dennis

This is a 1bbl that I made into a 2bbl about 23 years ago......

Attachments

• IMGP6318.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 984
  • IMGP6320.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 858
also, I see you mounted yours perpendicular. What carb, linkage, + kickdown are you using?

First off, I had it as a manual with a Carter 2bbl.....then later, I had a 350 Holley on it with an adapter....then later again, I had an auto in it, with a homemade kickdown linkage.

First off, I had it as a manual with a Carter 2bbl.....then later, I had a 350 Holley on it with an adapter....then later again, I had an auto in it, with a homemade kickdown linkage.
I have a Motorcraft 2bbl that came off an AMC 360. I was thinking about using it, but the throttle opens clockwise. I haven't figured out a linkage and kickdown yet.

-
Back