2-bbl. to 4-bbl. throttle/kickdown linkage issues

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm getting closer to being able to start my 318 for the first time and I have some issues with the linkage. It was originally a 2-bbl. (Carter BBD) and when I mocked up the intake manifold and carburetor (which is now a Carter ThermoQuad 4-bbl.) the linkage is way off. I tried bending the cable mount as much as possible and got the throttle cable hooked up just barely well enough but the kickdown linkage for the trans is way screwy. Even after unscrewing both rods (it's the 3-piece type) as much as possible they do not come far enough forward and when I open the throttle all the way the kickdown linkage still has a little play in it. I'm sure many members on here have done this swap and I would like to know what you all did for the linkage.

(BTW I posted this a while back in the 'Fuel and Air' sub-forum but didn't get too many replies).

I bent and threaded a piece of 5/16" round stock for the longer rod. The difference in height to get a straight pull for the throttle cable was compensated for with some 3/16" flat stock bent with a bench vise, torch and hammer. It's not pretty, but it works until I get around to something better.
Linkage.jpg

Linkage.jpg

I bent and threaded a piece of 5/16" round stock for the longer rod. The difference in height to get a straight pull for the throttle cable was compensated for with some 3/16" flat stock bent with a bench vise, torch and hammer. It's not pretty, but it works until I get around to something better.
View attachment 74975
You gotta do what works!I also modified my throttle linkage for a 4bbl. on the slant 6.Now it,s gone and I have a 360,Thermoquad on an aftermarket intake,so I,ve got to modify a new throttle bracket again.I,m useing lokar kickdown cable and a B&M floor shifter witha cable,this is in a 66 Dart(tight squeeze)

I don't know, I don't really have easy access to metalworking tools. It would take quite a while for me to fabricate something like that.

I simply bought the 340 four barrel kickdown linkage and used that, I think i got it from either Penstar Productions or R/T Specialties. It was something like $30.00 for the linkage setup and the 4 barrel throttle bracket. Geof

Hey MopeKid3,don,t need alot?,just the bracket,a grinder,drill and some ideas!Make your plan and go for it!(nuts&bolts)Youalready have the bracket?just try rigginn it?So it works for ya?Been there,done that!You can do it!

I hammered out the bend in the kickdown rod and I think it might work now. It goes most of the way back and will only go back further at WOT if I push on it really hard. Should work for now until I can either make something from scratch or buy the proper linkage.

Good deal, MOPEkidD-3, glad to hear you got it under control. Now get out there and try out that WOT position!!!LOL!!! Geof

-
Back