2" drop spindle

-

Reaction score
I got 65 Cuda that I'm installing 2" drop spindles & 11 3/4" brakes what rim size can I run ? Haven't decided if I'm gonna run flares or not want run it Time Attack (Solo 1) so I need big boots all around. I like to run 17" for weight reason but hear I need 18"-19" to clear tire rods anyone with experience with this combo.

No one tryed these 2" drop spindles?

Gmachinedart (something like that) has them but its on a 70-72 dart so how that works with early A bodies I don't know. He can at least tell you about how his setup works for him and I think he runs 18s

I order my parts from couple different places who had the best prices at the time but I do think they came from PST.

WHY!!! What's wrong with PST drop spindles??? Don't have them yet but was going to get some. Are they any good??? What do you guys think...............

WHY!!! What's wrong with PST drop spindles??? Don't have them yet but was going to get some. Are they any good??? What do you guys think...............

Drop spindles ruin any chances of clearing the tierod with and 18" wheel since they raise the wheel up closer to the tierod. 20s might work. You are gonna be stuck probably with an 8" wide wheel max if you are lucky.

Dodge74 I haven't installed them yet I never heard anything bad about them but I've heard tire rod to rim clearance is tight, thats why I want to know which size rims works with them.
I want 10" tires all around on 17" but I'll go 18"-19" if I have to.

72BBSwinger that's what I was afraid of, I might have to sell them.

Dose any one have pics of a car with the spindle on??? thanks for the info......

FWIW, we're running 16x7s with 4 inch bs on the front of my son's '68 Dart using the MFR 2 inch drop spindles. I have the 11.75 discs also. Will probably be changing to 17x7s with 4.75 bs in the future to run 13 inch discs and lower the front end a bit (more bs = no fender rubbing when the car gets lowered). I seriously doubt you'll be able to run 10 inches wheels up front........ Also, I believe the PST spindles are the MFR spindles, they look the same. We got ours from MFR direct for $489 shipped. Very nice, fit great, We installed them with the rotors in back.

Thanks reddartowner, I'm gonna take the spindle with the rotor, caliper, tire rod and take it to a rim shop see what fits. Didn't want to go bigger than 17"s but didn't want too much scrub radius either.

When I assemble my front end from Denny Ill post pics, Im using the Wilwood pro 2" drop spindle and 17"x8" wheels.
Andrew

I have Magnumforce drop spindles on my Challenger with 17" rims. They'll fit, but it really depends on the amount of backspace you want to run.

Basically, the 2" drop spindle removes the advantage of running a 17" rims vs a 15" rim, because it moves the tie rod end back to the same relative spot on the rim. Normally, with a 17" rim and stock spindles, the tie rod will fit inside the lip of the rim, allowing you to run more backspace than with a 15" rim. With a 2" drop spindle, the tie rod will be lined up with the rim again, so you're limited to stock amounts of backspace, between 4 and 5".

On my Challenger, I run 17x9" rims with 5" of backspace, and have about 1/8" clearance from the tie rod to the lip of the rim, that's the limit. Because the spindles and lower ball joints (and hence the tie rod mount) are the same on an E-body as on an A-body, I would think you'd be able to run about 5" of backspace, but no more, with a 17" rim.

You'd have to go to 18's or bigger to fit the tie rod back inside the rim to run additional backspacing.

I have Magnumforce drop spindles on my Challenger with 17" rims. They'll fit, but it really depends on the amount of backspace you want to run.

Basically, the 2" drop spindle removes the advantage of running a 17" rims vs a 15" rim, because it moves the tie rod end back to the same relative spot on the rim. Normally, with a 17" rim and stock spindles, the tie rod will fit inside the lip of the rim, allowing you to run more backspace than with a 15" rim. With a 2" drop spindle, the tie rod will be lined up with the rim again, so you're limited to stock amounts of backspace, between 4 and 5".

On my Challenger, I run 17x9" rims with 5" of backspace, and have about 1/8" clearance from the tie rod to the lip of the rim, that's the limit. Because the spindles and lower ball joints (and hence the tie rod mount) are the same on an E-body as on an A-body, I would think you'd be able to run about 5" of backspace, but no more, with a 17" rim.

You'd have to go to 18's or bigger to fit the tie rod back inside the rim to run additional backspacing.

I'd have to agree with that assessment. We chose the MFR spindles to retain a reasonable amount of suspension travel with the car lowered. With the stock spindles the suspension was on the bump stops and the front end was still a bit higher than it is now (4-1/2 inches under the k-member).

So I'm limited to 5" of back space that shouldn't be a problem since I'm going with flares so I still can go with 10" tires, Thanks for the info.

-
Back