2 holley 1920's on an offy intake

-

desy500

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,Have been having a little stumble starting out in 1st gear, almost stalled every time. I have only put 300 miles on it since I got it. So I finally toke apart the first of the 2 holleys , never did it before , I kept putting it off. I was very careful , and started with the carb that wasn't spraying much fuel into the bowl as I looked down them. I did it in a tray on my bench ,so I would not loose any parts. The parts were not old, looked fairly new. But I didn't find the diaphragm return spring . Looking at the directions that came in the rebuild kit , the spring didn't appear to be strong enough to fly out far from my work space as I took it apart. Never found it. I'm thinking P.O. didn't put the spring in while rebuilding it . SO question is - what effect would that have on performance if the spring was not in there? Would the slant have just been running off the other 1920? Always started right up , P.O. stated it had a mild cam in it , paper work from machine shop shows cam was replaced and block was bored .50 over . I had to set the idle 600-650 because it was not smooth. Jet in this first carb is 56 ,I have no idea what jets are best for this set up . have not started the second one yet , anyone running this setup that has any feedback would be great ! I have been reading many post on this site for 1920 rebuilds , and thank everyone for the helpful info , Dan's info has been great , I have already re-routed the fuel line and filter from one of his old posts. I am a rookie at this.

back carb on bench.jpg

carb work 2.20.17 start.jpg

front carb.jpg

Yes, you need the spring. No, it's not an optional piece or a clever option. Without it, the carb's accelerator pump will not work correctly. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

How about a pic of that, and also of the air filter system? I'm just curious, I haven't worked on one of those since a great long time. Oh, nevermind the manual cleared it up for me.

Last edited:
How about a pic of that, and also of the air filter system? I'm just curious, I haven't worked on one of those since a great long time. Oh, nevermind the manual cleared it up for me.
Air cleaners are another story , front carb clearance to the beam support on the hood is 3 inches at max , rear carb no issue, cheap MR gasket cleaners on it now , but looking to improve that , after carb rebuilds . This pic. is how it was the day I purchased it , the electric pump on the fender well ( wired direct to the ballast resister ) is gone , mechanical re-installed , and fuel lines re-routed to what Dan had in an old thread , and they had the brake booster vac. tee off from the pcv lines at the carb??

7503m2.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back