2 quick questions re: 440 reassembly

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
(If forgot how it came apart!) Does the longer of the two heater hose nipples go toward the inside or the outside of the engine?

I'm getting rid of the old R-12 A/C system because it hasn't worked for years and never will again. Will I be able to use one of the mounting brackets for the A/C compressor to mount the P/S pump? Is it hard to remove the compressor pulley?

(Hey, wait a minute, that was 3 questions!) Thanks very much, guys, as always.

engine 7-7-2018.jpg

The longer one goes to the front port on the pump housing, just forward and to the right of the temperature sending unit, as viewed from the front. One of the other towards the rear gets a plug.

That is not correct. I believe the short one goes where your long is now, and the long one goes in the lower hole near the sender. The remaining hole is capped off. I may not correct, so someone with pictures can confirm.

Oh, I forgot to mention, both of the nipples go up on top of the water pump housing, where I have them now, but they might be reversed. The front hole in the water pump housing is for an EGR coolant sensor. Do I have the nipples reversed in the picture?

So I'm pretty sure I can remove the front A/C compressor mounting bracket and use it to mount the P/S pump. I may cut it down to size first.

(If forgot how it came apart!) Does the longer of the two heater hose nipples go toward the inside or the outside of the engine?

I'm getting rid of the old R-12 A/C system because it hasn't worked for years and never will again. Will I be able to use one of the mounting brackets for the A/C compressor to mount the P/S pump? Is it hard to remove the compressor pulley?

(Hey, wait a minute, that was 3 questions!) Thanks very much, guys, as always.

440 and Hemi both

9535419308_8f96063db2.jpg

100_7371.jpg

The way you have them will result in no coolant flow through the heater core. The pics in the last post are correct.

The way you have them will result in no coolant flow through the heater core. The pics in the last post are correct.

Yes, thanks Jim, I see that now.

oldkimmer wrote: "Y don’t u just get the proper p/s bracket?"

Yes, you're right, Kim, the old brackets which mounted the A/C and the power steering pump absolutely won't work, so I had to order a new set of non-A/C brackets.

Thanks again, everybody.

-
Back