20+ years of "Building 904/727 for drag racing use"

-
I just read on another forum that a SS guy (I think he’s a Ford guy) says he’s using a Proflite in his car.

there‘s 904 guts in GM 200 cases as well as Ford cases out there.

my friends 383 stock eliminator wagon is a tenth and a half quicker with the 904 aluminum component pro flight over a 727 he tried.

At that lower power it'd be a pretty mild build but would look like this:
- red racing clutches and bands (Rigid 2nd gear band)
- billet servos
- HD band strut
- 4.2 2nd apply lever
- Teflon sealing rings for stator/pump support
- multi-spring kit for 3rd gear drum
- oem steel 4 pinion planetary front and rear
- re-vent to the back of the case and a few other mods needed for transbrake
Question - my planetary thrust washer are worn and I was in the process of ordering some but they apparently come in steel or aluminum. Which would be better?

Thanks!

The thrust washers are the same material for aluminum or steel planetaries, but the thrust washers themselves are different and do not interchange between the 904 aluminum and steel planetaries.

Do you have aluminum or steel planetaries?

Question - my planetary thrust washer are worn and I was in the process of ordering some but they apparently come in steel or aluminum. Which would be better?

Thanks!
Your 1st gear ratio affects the front thrust washer as well. The 2:74 ratio is different than 2:45.

The thrust washers are the same material for aluminum or steel planetaries, but the thrust washers themselves are different and do not interchange between the 904 aluminum and steel planetaries.

Do you have aluminum or steel planetaries?
The front planetary is 2.74 steel 4 pinion. The rear is 3 pinion aluminum (stock from 1969 but in good shape).

The front planetary is 2.74 steel 4 pinion. The rear is 3 pinion aluminum (stock from 1969 but in good shape).
I always wanted to use an aluminum 3 planet for weight savings but was never sure if it’s strong enough and I use the rear 4 planet steel from a 998 or 999.

I bought a race prepped 904 from a long time Mopar builder and its not working as expected, 4 neutrals and leaks like a soaker hose

-
Back