2000 Dakota Volt Gage is going to 18 volts HELP

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
My wifes Dak. It has started giving her a Check Gages lite in the cluster and the Volt Meter Pegs. I haven't been able to get a volt meter on the battery cause it comes and goes. Don't see any issues with any other gage. She said everything else seems normal. 4.7 V8 4 wheel drive auto trans. Any ideas?

I don't really know much about that stuff, but some stuff to ponder

First disconnect either alternator field wire and see if the problem goes away

The newer Mopars (don't know about yours) has the regulator built into the computer. Just like the old separate regulator, a poor ground at the computer or poor connection to the power going into it will cause the regulator to "think" the battery is low and ramp up charge voltage.

Either situation, poor ground or poor power could certainly "come and go." Intermittents are always difficult. The thing is, hi voltage may very well damage stuff including the computer itself, so I would not screw with this. Get it fixed, even if you have to pay. Someone more familiar with these might be privy to service bulletins that address typical problems.

Harness connectors, "wiggle test."

you best hope the issue is a short in the alternator, on that truck the ECM/PCM controls the charging

Thanks, I will give it a once over. Just wish I could catch it and check the battery, if it's not at 18 Volts, I know I have another problem.

Thanks, I will give it a once over. Just wish I could catch it and check the battery, if it's not at 18 Volts, I know I have another problem.

if its not at 18 volts it might be the cluster; sad to say you may have to take it to a shop at that point, its not cheap to throw parts at it

-
Back