2000 lb, 500 wheel hp, Dart 340?

-
Reaction score
Could a 2000 lb, 500 wheel hp, dart 340 be built? Aluminum engine. Supercharged. Carbon fiber body. NHRA chromoly cage/chassis. One seat. Spare tire out. Light battery. Etc. No requirement to use any Mopar parts. Street legal. (Could even more power with a lighter weight be built?)

According to the following calculator it would beat a 4100 lb, 840 hp Demon on the 1/4 mile.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

An Ariel Atom 500 weighs about 1312 lbs with a V8. No real body, greenhouse, etc. That leaves 688 lb budget for longer frame, body, and glass.

Less than 1/2 the weight and more than 1/2 the HP of a Demon. It will beat it as long as it hooks.

The lighter car is comparable to a demon with over 1000hp on power to weight ratio.

Could a 2000 lb, 500 wheel hp, dart 340 be built? Aluminum engine. Supercharged. Carbon fiber body. NHRA chromoly cage/chassis. One seat. Spare tire out. Light battery. Etc. No requirement to use any Mopar parts. Street legal. (Could even more power with a lighter weight be built?)

According to the following calculator it would beat a 4100 lb, 840 hp Demon on the 1/4 mile.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

An Ariel Atom 500 weighs about 1312 lbs with a V8. No real body, greenhouse, etc. That leaves 688 lb budget for longer frame, body, and glass.
Sure, anything is possible. Speed is just a matter of money.

How deep are your pockets?

Sure, anything is possible. Speed is just a matter of money.

How deep are your pockets?

Yeah.

I'm still wondering if 2000 lbs and 500 hp in a Dart form is really possible.

The 1968 Hemi Dart was 3000 lbs but had a 426 iron engine and a few fiberglass parts. Shaving off 1000 lbs seems like quite a task.

Yeah.

Lots of cromemolly, carbon fiber, fiberglass, lexan and aluminum.

My buddy has a nova thats just under 2000LBS but its a full cromemolly chassis with a carbon body.

I hope you're good a writing checks beacuse you will write a lot of em to get there.

Ps. The 500HP is super easy and almost will be more work to keep the power that low as you will be running an aftermarket aluminum block and heads.

My buddy has a nova thats just under 2000LBS but its a full cromemolly chassis with a carbon body.

Cool! Has your friend posted info about his Nova online?

The 500HP is super easy and almost will be more work to keep the power that low as you will be running an aftermarket aluminum block and heads.

I'm ok with more horsepower out of a 340 engine as long as the car is slower than 8.5 s quarter mile and faster than the 840 hp Demon!

I'd happily go with a smaller engine if it could help reduce weight still have 500 hp and reach the 1/4 mile time goal.

At that weight, you could drop a neon str-4 in there and get it

His car is not on line. Its a twin turbo LS7 making 1,800 Hp. "Street car"

You wont be running 340CI as almost all the aluminum blocks are "big blocks".

I think there are a few KB aluminum 340 blocks but they are not easy to find.

To get the car that light is gonna be expensive.

My dart is fully gutted, full aluminum interior and every thing that can get cut out has been cut out. I would guess my car is just under 3000Lbs.

You're gonna have to be in the full out race car game.

Where are you located?

If you're near the san Francisco bay area you could come by and talk to some of the guys who run those type of cars on the street.

Last edited:
-
Back