2008 Challenger tested by Motortrend

-
Wait until 2012 when the Hemi goes away for good due to emissions...

Uh oh, what's supposed to happen then?

Back to the Challenger, I think it's great. Take a look in your Mopar magazines at the six-figure resto-rods and g-machines these rich guys build (or should I say, pay to have built) from classic Mopars. These things look great, have all the modern comforts, handle well, and are tame on the street and get decent gas mileage, but compared to something like the new Challenger? The only place the old resto-rods have them beat is perhaps in the acceleration and looks department, which IMO, definitely DOES NOT justify the six-figure prices for these one-off projects. The new Challenger is heavy and a bit "plasticular", but is still worlds beyond classic Mopars in everything else. Not everyone has the time, money, or know-how to drive a classic Mopar every day.

Well, you never know. People were saying the same thing in the 70's, weren't they? And then we found a way around it! I don't see how a small, forced-induction engine is any different from a large NA engine anyway; with the right technology, they can both be just as efficient, because power is basically how much air you can get into and out of an engine.

Well, you never know. People were saying the same thing in the 70's, weren't they? And then we found a way around it! I don't see how a small, forced-induction engine is any different from a large NA engine anyway; with the right technology, they can both be just as efficient, because power is basically how much air you can get into and out of an engine.

Anything can happen that's for sure. But it took 32 years between 1971 and 2003 for Chrysler to find a way around it. I don't think I can wait that long.

Anything can happen that's for sure. But it took 32 years between 1971 and 2003 for Chrysler to find a way around it. I don't think I can wait that long.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder if today's cars will be considered classics though in some 30-odd years.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder if today's cars will be considered classics though in some 30-odd years.

Not like the cars 30 years ago man. What do kids driving cars today get excited about most? Yes an SRT 4 neon with a turbo is fast, but does it have a classic look that will last for years to come? No. To be honest, One of the reasons the older cars are so..well, classic is because of how they looked.
If cars would have kept looking great through the 70s and into the 80s, some of the cars of the 50s and 60s might not seem so memorable. Instead most, if not all of the cars of the late 70s and 80s turned ugly. How many guys out there are restoring 80s cars? Not many.
There has to be something about todays cars that will make people look back and go "Hmmmm those 2004 neons shure looked good", in order for them to be considered a classic. The only thing I can think of is, for cars of the future to be uglier then some of todays cars or much slower. This would make people 30 years from now look back and admire todays cars. Think MAD MAX, "Last of the V8s".
Lets look back abit at what made cars from the past so cool. The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that every year they changed something on each model, wether it was trim, or the grille or tail lights. Nowadays, the model of a car looks the same for 4-6 years before they change anything. Another thing about the older cars is, you had to drive them. With less stopping ablility, worse steering and handling, older cars require you to think abit more about what your doing when your driving, so when driving an older car with old suspension, you really feel like you have to master it before getting crazy fun with it.
My guess is 30 years from now we may not even hold a steering wheel, but more of a playstation like controller to steer our cars, so maybe people 30 years from now may look back and go "Hmmmmmm remember all the feedback you got from the steering wheel on those 2008 Caravans".
As far as the new challenger, I hope it does well enough so that maybe in the future, it will get its oun platform. You gotta think tough, what do you do with the looks of a car that is retro when its time to change its looks?Ten years from now, will the mustang still look like a retro 60s car? What do you do with its looks, maybe go 80s retro?

Well as soon as you drive one of those shiny new challengers off the lot it starts to DECREASE in value..where as my 38 year old duster is /has been INCREASING in value every year..:cheers::-D

One more thing to consider on the new Challenger is ....... What would I rather me and my family be riding in at 40 MPH. when some idiot pulls out in front of me and I dont have time to stop..... 30 year old mopar or the new Challenger ???????

One more thing to consider on the new Challenger is ....... What would I rather me and my family be riding in at 40 MPH. when some idiot pulls out in front of me and I dont have time to stop..... 30 year old mopar or the new Challenger ???????

I don't think the challenger is in the "family car" class..as for me i'll take that 30 old iron/muscle any day:cheers:

My 340 cars had NO value after ten years. Any appreciation can only happen after a long cycle. And most importantly, IF someone still wants one.

Grant

Well as soon as you drive one of those shiny new challengers off the lot it starts to DECREASE in value..where as my 38 year old duster is /has been INCREASING in value every year..:cheers::-D

What you fail to realize is that your 38 year old Duster new DID depreciate for the first 15-20 years. Not saying that the new Challenger will be a collectors item for sure, but who can predict what is going to happen 38 years FROM NOW?

...you're still comparing the new Challenger to your Duster...:tard: HILARIOUS!

Dude, have you looked at the Blue Book value of your car? Id dont think your car or my 64 are even in the book anymore. The value of our cars is determined by the desire of a buyer. If you look at a new challenger in 30 years, it will be worth more then your duster was 30 years after it was on the road. I think it would be best to argue your side of all this with a challenger vs challenger point of view.
As far as kicken a new srt8 challengers *** for less money, it can be done. Im putting a 5.7 hemi in my 64 dart, so it should run with a 6.1 2009 challenger (13s), but I should walk away from a 5.7 challenger ok. Even though the challenger has IRS it still is abit heavier so my 64 could hold its oun in the corners, that said, Id worry less going over 120mph in a new challenger then in my old 64, newer cars just handle better at higher speeds then the older cars. If your duster runs 11s, I dont think its a streetable car much. Most likely is a pretty lopey engine, and maybe not a good long hauler. I could be wrong, you may drive coast to coast without a problem. but thats just my guess. Unless of course youve invested in a turbo..........................................................................................................................8)

It is like the comparison Mopar Enthusiast did between the new SRT8 Challenger and a base 70 R/t Challenger with a 383, it really wasn't a valid comparison

The only compliante I have is, The thing is a tank. But then so was a old Hemi Challenger and it did not have all the bells and whistles the new one has. Or the air bags and other safty stuff that is requiered now.

I like it!

And with a few mods the thing may run 11's and I bet you could still drive it daily with to problems too.

If I was rich I would get two.
One to drive daily.
The other would be a drag car.

Thrashard,there is NO comparison between my duster and the new challenger..but why don't you go buy one when they come and we'll race for titles,i'll even make the race fair for you i'll pull 2 plugs wire off and run on only 6 cylinders,give you a 6 car lead,and still blow the doors off that plastic wannabe

Dodgenut64.you won't find a '70 duster in the bluebook it's in the "white" book for collector/classic cars..by the way mines appraised/insured /valued at 30k thats about 10 times what it cost new..not bad..oh and yes its VERY streetable.. drive it coast to coast no can't do it gas bill alone would kill me..

Thrashard,there is NO comparison between my duster and the new challenger..but why don't you go buy one when they come and we'll race for titles,i'll even make the race fair for you i'll pull 2 plugs wire off and run on only 6 cylinders,give you a 6 car lead,and still blow the doors off that plastic wannabe

Dodgenut64.you won't find a '70 duster in the bluebook it's in the "white" book for collector/classic cars..by the way mines appraised/insured /valued at 30k thats about 10 times what it cost new..not bad..oh and yes its VERY streetable.. drive it coast to coast no can't do it gas bill alone would kill me..

Okay then... How about you take a cross-country trip and see who uses more gas and whose *** hurts more at the end?

What?????????????
\

Apparently you don't see what I'm trying to say. What you're Duster can't do is compete with the new Challenger in terms of economy, practicality, and comfort. So after you're done laughing at him after blowing him away at a stoplight drag, he'll be laughing at you after getting 20 MPG and having a nice comfortable seat and amenities while your bum is sore and you've spent craploads of cash on gas.

\

Apparently you don't see what I'm trying to say. What you're Duster can't do is compete with the new Challenger in terms of economy, practicality, and comfort. So after you're done laughing at him after blowing him away at a stoplight drag, he'll be laughing at you after getting 20 MPG and having a nice comfortable seat and amenities while your bum is sore and you've spent craploads of cash on gas.

Well for 40k plus i would surely hope a new car was more comfortable got better gas mileage ect..then my 38 year old car and my seat is quite comfortable too:-D but i'm usually only in for 11 seconds not enough time to get a sore butt,and i doubt anyone who will be owning one of those plastic wannabes will be laughing at anyone driving a "real" muscle/performance car for any reason..13.1 i've forgotten how it feels to go that slow but i know when i did it surely did'nt cost me anywhere 40k...

Well for 40k plus i would surely hope a new car was more comfortable got better gas mileage ect..then my 38 year old car and my seat is quite comfortable too:-D but i'm usually only in for 11 seconds not enough time to get a sore butt,and i doubt anyone who will be owning one of those plastic wannabes will be laughing at anyone driving a "real" muscle/performance car for any reason..13.1 i've forgotten how it feels to go that slow but i know when i did it surely did'nt cost me anywhere 40k...

Well can your Duster pass the current 2008 emissions and crash test standards? Can you cruise at 70 mph with the AC on and stereo blasting in comfort for hours on end? What about swerve out of the way if theres a big pothole or accident up ahead ? I know my Dart sure as hell couldn't with the stock suspension and steering feedback. Try taking a bone stock 426 hemi Cuda or Challenger and running 91 octane pump gas in it and running much faster than 13.1 in the 1/4 mile.. don't forget your gonna need some mpg and freeway cruising unfriendly 3.91s or 4.10 gears in back to do that.

Awww....waaaah. Did I touch a nerve? LOL! You just did it AGAIN! You are still comparing your Duster to the new Challenger. This is too funny! What I could do is spend $30k and build a REAL street Duster, we could meet halfway. Both parties would have to DRIVE our rides to the track some 1,000+ miles. But I know you would never agree to that because you would want to TOW your STREET Duster to the halfway point. Plus, you aren't worth my time and money. :bootysha: What's entertaining to me is that everytime I ask you a question or call you on your BS you resort right back to a comparison about your Duster...because you are unable to provide an educated or thoughtful response. Don't be mad because I exposed you for what you truly are...a classless idiot. :thebirdm: AHAHA!

And if you are complaining about the gas bill driving cross country then your car isn't as streetable as you think it is.

You just proved my point again with this post. Another apples to oranges comparison and you are waaaaay off the mark of what MOPEkidD-3 is saying.

Take him up on that. He said "race" but didn't mention the type.

Have him pull two plug wires, put you out 6, then race through 5 miles of twisties... That Duster would make a bitchen parts car for you. :-D

-
Back