2008 Chrysler T&C 3.8L Y pipe

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
If any of you are familiar in any way with these vehicles, then you know the issue I am talking about. For those that don’t, Chrysler, in its infinite wisdom, decided to use a plastic y-pipe to connect the coolant lines between the heater cores and the engine. Of course, as the vehicle ages, the plastic becomes brittle and eventually gives way. As ours did today. Blew the whole side off the y-pipe and dumped most of our coolant on the ground. Luckily there are repair kits for this at box stores, and the replacement pipe is actually aluminum so hopefully I won’t have to do this again.

00FC0312-5F09-452A-8B02-289AF85B4106.jpeg

FED3C636-1A44-4682-A729-EFBFFDE18F3B.jpeg

I just did that either last year or the year before! Mine developed a steady drip out of one of the connectors. Pretty easy to get to and cheap enough. I didn't know about the improved replacement. Next time I'll do that!

Had the same issue with my 2009 Grand Caravan 4.0L five years ago. I change the pipes with aluminum aftermarket ones from Dorman along with the hoses. Last year I had the dealer replace the water pump which was covered under the lifetime warranty. A heater hose was also leaking and they wanted to replace the whole heater hose assembly under the hood for $300. The factory parts included the plastic pipes. They agreed to just replace the leaking hose with a piece of heater hose and clamps but wouldn't guarantee it. The hose hasn't leaked since then.

GM had stat housings made of some sort of fiber reinforced plastic.....FAIL!

-
Back