200cc port.

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
Why is it so easy to make a sbc head with a 200cc intake port. But seams impossible for a sbm. I know they are of different design but it doesn't seem that different.

I think for a sbm factory head... even 190cc would be like fine china...fragile!
With epoxy in the pushrod holes and that wall moved...possibly close.

200 isn’t even a “big” sbc port.

I will say this though........
When talking about true factory installed mass produced SB heads from the 60’s & 70’s....... it’s quite a bit easier to get to 250-260cfm with a Mopar head than a Chevy head.

The big hurdle to increased port area with the Mopar head will be the need for offset rocker gear....... which ends up driving the overall cost of the top end up.

The Indy 360-1 is listed as being 210cc before porting.

Curiosity is a good thing. There are people going very fast with less than a 200 cc port that's for sure. 9.6's with a ported OEM head and 10.9's with a stock Eddie head come to mind. From memory neither use an offset rocker.

There was a couple of 200cc + offerings a few years ago.
I think the Air Wolfs were about that size.
And there was that first version of the BPE heads(not sure how big the current one is).

9D2D75CF-C7F5-4366-8D27-D2115B6337E7.png

Port volume means very little. A 23 degree chevy head can get that many cc’s because the runner is longer.

Edit: I have to say only Stock and Super Stock racers care about port volume, but that’s only because they have to.

There was a couple of 200cc + offerings a few years ago.
I think the Air Wolfs were about that size.
And there was that first version of the BPE heads(not sure how big the current one is).

View attachment 1715852924

my buddy measured his airwolfs and they are almost 210.
The new Bloomer head measured just a touch over 200( and its not offset)
It is indeed “ tall” a victor intake requires welding to fit perfectly. A super Victor has enough meat to fit perfectly at the top of the ports with no welding required.

Btw..the Indy head was available in a 245 cc intake port version. Not sure it is any longer but i have seen those heads, buddy ran a set very recently.

-
Back