2010 vs 2011 water pump?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
So we have an eagle engine, which i was under the assumption that any 2009 and newer engine had the VVT timing cover, which would make the PS delete idler usable on any 2009 and newer hemi. (apparently incorrect)

So i order my timing cover, it fits up through 2015, so we're good there, bolt on the water pump, and the spacing looks incorrect for the idler, tensioner, and WP pulley....all of which are attached to the WP, not the TC.

so i then look up the PN for the water pump we have, and it has a carryover year into 2010, which explains how it was incorrectly ordered, however it does Not explain why 2 years of the VVT engine got the older water pump. i'm now assuming that changing to the newer 2011 WP will be thicker, and thus fix the belt spacing issue? any other input?

for anyone that was on the other belt routing thread, i know i referenced the non VVT engine there, but we actually changed game plans, and i for sure have the VVT eagle engine. just need to know if the 2011 WP is thicker faced for some reason. maybe thats when they went electric PS? and changed spacing? i notice my damper is 2011 and up only also. I figured that the VVT timing cover was the culprit for the spacing change...but you know what happens when you ASSume :p

well, just ordered the 11...guess we will see.

Just to update my own thread, as this one went unanswered. The 2011 water pump is about a half inch longer (off the block)than the 2010. For anyone that stumbles upon this in the future. I Speculate that when these cars went electric power steering, chrysler revised the north south spacing on the accessory drive. I see this Change documented nowhere on here so I wanted to update it.
What you will find if you look up the accessory drive components is that although these engines changed reluctors and went vvt in 09, the 09/10 harmonic balancer, alternator, and water pump are not blind bolt ons to just any VVT 5.7. So for you fellas looking to do swaps and retain oem style accessories, keep this in mind. Everything changes in 2011 (to more pricey items to replace of course) this is why the electric ps delete pulley does not align with the older drive, and needs modified on pre 11 engines. The TC appears to have some 09/10 overlap. I'm guesing more due to late 6.1 production. But the alternator, WP, balancer, and that PS delete pulley are 2011 and up.
The idler and tensioner appear to be unchanged as the attachment points on the water pump are spaced outward compared to the 09/10.
Hope this helps someone in the future knowing replacement and dress components aren't just as simple as "09 and up"

good to know,

no problem!

also found out the oil pump pickup is completely different from 09 and up, as the oil pump changed with the VVt. the info for aftermarket pickups is sketchy. If someone tells you their pickup fits any 3g hemi, walk away.

Thanks for the post.

Reminds me of the number one rule of buying auto parts. If your car has a 50% chance of having part A or part B, there is a 100% that no matter which part you buy it will be the wrong one.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This is all good info and deserves to be brought back from the dead.

As a side note, I wonder if the PS pulley from an earlier Hemi would work on the later PS pump delete bracket and fix the pulley mis-alignment issue and make it usable on earlier motors?

I was struggling with trying to find a remote reservoir fitting for my brother (see thread here) when he gave up and ordered the PS pump add on kit from Mopar. Looking at that pump and comparing it to an earlier pump made me think the pump was the same as a 6.1 pump (for example), which made me wonder if the only difference was the pulley. There are two different pulley part numbers, and the later one does look to be deeper, but it's all just visuals so not sure it matches up. But it does make it a possibility that Mopar only changed the pulley when the accessory belt moved out on the later motors.

But if it did, and the earlier PS pulley could be swapped onto the PS delete idler, maybe it would fix the belt alignment and make the idler work on the earlier motors?

Just an idea.

-
Back