2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon test drive

-
Did you even read the article? You’re missing the whole point. The Camry has/had the highest percentage of parts built in the US and the the cars are also assembled here. Where as since the redesign in 2015, Ford F-150s only have about 70% of their parts manufactured here. Hell, in 2011 ford trucks weren’t even on the list of the top 20-30 vehicles with the most American made parts.

Don't worry. As of 2016 or so, it became acceptable to call any information that contradicts your preferred reality "fake news."

Getting my "Crap" Demon in a few more days.....I will let you know how shitty it is:rofl:

Awesome!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!
I bet it will be just awful.

Wait a minute. Did I hear correctly? The Demon only comes with 1 seat? Is the passenger seat optional?

Wait a minute. Did I hear correctly? The Demon only comes with 1 seat? Is the passenger seat optional?
Comes with an option called a HellCrate. One dollar option. Seats, door panels, ETC.

They know at least 5 years in advance what's coming out .
They - NHRA, made the changes in 2013 (and dated it back to production year 2008) not just because of the then-released Hellcat but also because of the corvette ZR1, Mustang GT350, etc that we’re out there already. And, I am sure as you’re saying, to head off what was coming

And if you read the rules, it has to be in “stock factory” configuration. So, technically if you have a 2012 Challenger that you toss a blower on ... it doesn’t, by the letter of the rule, excempt you ... not that local tracks enforce it ....

I went to Gainesville FL TNT yesterday and they have rules that you must follow.
"2008 and newer stock production cars (cannot be modified) can go as fast as 135 mph and as quick as 10.00 sec in the 1/4 mile, if you go faster you will not be allowed to make any more runs."

Could it be that a stock production car does not come with a rollcage, driveshaft loop etc.

I love the fact that this is being made a rule simply because 10 years ago no one would have though the big three would be making cars like this.

Could it be that a stock production car does not come with a rollcage, driveshaft loop etc.

These are basic rules - got them from I29 Dragway website. From my memory and review of rule book when we set up our car, this seems right. The actual rule book takes a bit to read and find specifics.

Street Cars The following items are required for a vehicle and driver to pass tech: Good tires, a solid battery hold down, radiator overflow reservoir, functioning neutral-safety switch, seat belts, and a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license for all participants. The driver must wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and a shirt.

13.99 seconds (8.59 1/8th) Drive Line Loop with slicks or locking Diff, Approved helmet (Full face in open cars), see below SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equipped with non-OEM nitrous oxide, turbochargers or superchargers

13.49 seconds (8.25 1/8th) Roll bar in convertibles SFI seat belts in convertibles

11.99 seconds (7.49 1/8th) Steel Valve Stems Arm Restraints (open cars)

11.49 seconds (7.35 1/8th) SFI 1.1 or 1.2 Flywheel / Clutch SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 or 9.1 Flywheel shield SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket 6 point roll bar SFI approved seat belts

10.99 seconds (6.99 1/8th) or Super Street SFI 4.1 Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph Locking transmission dipstick tube Aftermarket axles and axle retainers SFI Harmonic Balancer Roll Cage with altered floor pans, or 135 mph - Window net required Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph

9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or Super Gas or 135 mph NHRA Chassis Certification NHRA Competition License SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5 SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1 SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars) Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications

150 mph Parachute

For the amendment to this:” Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

“Unaltered” is the wild card. Of course throwing a blower on one is obvious. But, technically, what about stickie mickies on a Demon? What about a different cam in a ZR1?

If you read that article (and some others) I think they made this concession: Newer cars are designed much safer, people want to run em all out on the track and they want people in a declining sport and so many cars now can run low 11s and better stock. Not a lot. But many.

These are basic rules - got them from I29 Dragway website. From my memory and review of rule book when we set up our car, this seems right. The actual rule book takes a bit to read and find specifics.

Street Cars The following items are required for a vehicle and driver to pass tech: Good tires, a solid battery hold down, radiator overflow reservoir, functioning neutral-safety switch, seat belts, and a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license for all participants. The driver must wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and a shirt.

13.99 seconds (8.59 1/8th) Drive Line Loop with slicks or locking Diff, Approved helmet (Full face in open cars), see below SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equipped with non-OEM nitrous oxide, turbochargers or superchargers

13.49 seconds (8.25 1/8th) Roll bar in convertibles SFI seat belts in convertibles

11.99 seconds (7.49 1/8th) Steel Valve Stems Arm Restraints (open cars)

11.49 seconds (7.35 1/8th) SFI 1.1 or 1.2 Flywheel / Clutch SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 or 9.1 Flywheel shield SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket 6 point roll bar SFI approved seat belts

10.99 seconds (6.99 1/8th) or Super Street SFI 4.1 Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph Locking transmission dipstick tube Aftermarket axles and axle retainers SFI Harmonic Balancer Roll Cage with altered floor pans, or 135 mph - Window net required Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph

9.99 seconds (6.39 1/8th) or Super Gas or 135 mph NHRA Chassis Certification NHRA Competition License SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5 SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1 SFI 29.1 flexplate / 30.1 flexplate shield (AT equipped cars) Full Face Helmet meeting Snell or SFI specifications

150 mph Parachute

For the amendment to this:” Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

http://www.dragzine.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

“Unaltered” is the wild card. Of course throwing a blower on one is obvious. But, technically, what about stickie mickies on a Demon? What about a different cam in a ZR1?

If you read that article (and some others) I think they made this concession: Newer cars are designed much safer, people want to run em all out on the track and they want people in a declining sport and so many cars now can run low 11s and better stock. Not a lot. But many.

So...
These newer cars are too fast for their own good.
How many weekend warriors are gonna put a rollcage in their $70,000 daily driver ?

So...
These newer cars are too fast for their own good.
How many weekend warriors are gonna put a rollcage in their $70,000 daily driver ?

They’re not. Perhaps another ancillary reason for rule adjustment.

Another thing, it can be more dangerous to have roll cage in when you’re not wearing a helmet. Even something at 20 mph and smashing your noggin against it would be real bad.

And as YouTube bears witness, the increasing power of these cars seems to inversely compare to many driver’s skill set. Nobody drives perfect and I’ve seen truly skilled drivers loose it. But we’ve all seen people smash up small fortunes because lifting wasn’t even an after thought.

Might want to check your facts..FCA is based in the United Kingdom..try again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Oh yea?

30924A6D-CF8C-4F39-95EE-7FD8A0A1B07E.png

A few of my friends who live and work around auburn hills MI might debate that auburn hills is not in 'murica. lol

-
Back