2020 small block race?

-

Stephen Hotz

Youtube channel Stephen Hotz Just Drive It!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal. Would like to keep the effort made by @318willrun for the previous races.
Only changes looking to be made would be wanting to set up a cubic inch chart to allow for strokers and big blocks.
Change 2 would be whether to use a conversion factor to allow the 1/8th mile guys compete.

Want to host 2 races that will include the B,C and F body guys if they are interested.

Race 1 to validate any changes would be those attending 2020 Roadkill Ziptie Drags.
Race 2 the main event.

Please keep discusion civil.

273 .060 for each Cubic in.
318 .05
340 .045
360 .0425
318 mag .049
360 mag .0416

Taking into account that a 408 would automatically get a -0.4 for the overbore and playing around with the above thousandths it didnt work out as a
408LA would be -2.04
408Mag -1.9968
Not sure if that would be a good indicator.

This is if just using the chart and some math. Hence the need for a cubic inch chart.

Glad you are taking this and doing something for 2020. :) Can you explain a little more about Race 2 ? This would be something that you'd have to show up in person like the zip tie race? or, everyone just make a pass and report the E.T. ?

Race 2 would be make your passes and post your slip.

Since we have people showing up at Race 1 figured it would be a neat thing to do as well as a way to prove out and validate any changes.

Also have a thread with the same info posted at FBBO.

Sorry, what’s the length of time for this competition?
All of the 2020 season?

It be nice if the stroker class consisted of 408 -512 ci, shouldn't matter if big block or small block.
Run what ya brung. lol

If a cubic inch chart can be made up then that would allow everyone to compete evenly and would be one open class. If we were to do a stroker & big block class as separate then more work but would leave tge traditional format intack.

Ok here are some questions.
1. Should we keep the small blocks together and add a stroker/big block class?
2. Anyone have any imput on a cubic inch chart?
3. If we do a cubic inch chart should we keep the 318 LA as the bench mark?
4. How many people are actually interested in doing another race?

I can say I will have at least 1 car racing possibly 2 depending on if I get the Swinger running.

If you had a way to include 1/8th mile, some of us old "half trackers" might get motivated to hit the strip.

Looking at allowing that by usìng a calculator to convert it to a 1/4 mile time?

Yeah, I am not sure how accurate they are. Maybe at least let 1/8th mile times to be posted with a conversion, even if they were just for fun?

1. & 2. You could do it like you mentioned, or cubic inch chart. either would work.
3. gotta have a bench mark, so why not a 318? wouldn't really matter....
4. I race my junk every year. So it wouldn't be much effort for me to enter.

The easiest for me would be to leave it as it is and add a conversion for the 1/8 mile guys.

I'll play.
You may want to consider using engine stroke instead of cubic inches. IMO engine stroke is a huge factor in setting up a good combo; cam, converter, gear, etc.
1/8 mile conversion is close as long as the car can actually rpm to the 1/4 stripe.

Every timeslip will have an 1/8 mile time....
Although the 1/8 mile dedicated cars will be set up with lower gearing.

The problem with including bigblocks are the heads.

What about 4 speeds ? I must have missed any mention of them ?

Is this race going to be for street cars only, or Drag cars too?

-
Back