215/65/15 Tires

-

intergalactica

Reaction score
Yesterday I ordered some BFGoodrich 215/65/15 tires at Summit racing.

Will these fit properly on the front of my '67 barracuda? Any fender rubbing whatsoever?

Here are the specs...

*Note the .10 inch increase in overall tire diameter and the .60 inch increase in tread width.

The ones I ordered:
P215/65/15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A (Summit Part #BFG-78624)
*Tire Diameter: 26.00 in.
Section Width: 8.70 in.
*Tread Width: 7.00 in.
Load Range: 95
Minimum Recommended Rim Width: 6.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width: 7.50 in.
Max Load Single: 1,510 lbs.

The ones I currently have on my car:

P215/70/14 BF Goodrich Radial T/A
*Tire Diameter: 25.90 in.
*Tread Width: 6.40 in.
Load Range: 96
Minimum Recommended Rim Width: 5.50 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width: 7.00 in.
Max Load Single: 1,554 lbs.

I'll be installing them on new Cragar S/S 15x6 wheels with 3.375" backspacing (small bolt pattern)

What do you all think??? Too big...too wide???

What was the backspacing and rim width of your 14" rims you had on the previous tires? How close was the old setup from the bottom front edge of your fender lip to the tire edge when turning?

The tires seem sorta close in size, but if the new rims move the tire out because the offset changed there may be an issue.

26" is where I have seen them start hitting (from reports on here over the years).

But this isn't cut and dry. Wheel offset, ride height, wind blowing from the east or west, car's build date on a Wednesday vs. a Thursday………

Joe and Bob have identical 67 Barracudas. Joe's tire hits and Bob's tire does not.

When checking for clearance, try to simulate up or down tire motion when turning. Pull into a driveway (turning in) very slowly with a friend watching the clearance.

You know...I'm going to play it safe.

I just canceled the order and I'm simply going to order a set of 14x6 Cragar S/S rims and mount them on my 215/70/14 tires that are currently on my car.

The last thing I need is to mount the 15s and damage my fenders. Urghhhh...I have enough things to deal with. As they say, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for everyone's help.

They will fit fine, esp since you still have small bolt wheels, I had 215/65's on the front of my 68 Dart with 73 BBP discs and 15x7 cop wheels, the track width is about 2" wider than a SBP car and I didn't have problems.

They will fit fine, esp since you still have small bolt wheels, I had 215/65's on the front of my 68 Dart with 73 BBP discs and 15x7 cop wheels, the track width is about 2" wider than a SBP car and I didn't have problems.

15x7 cop rims are 4.25 backspacing. His 15x6 rims are 3.375"

If intergalactica could order 15x6 Crager's with like 4" backspacing, things would be a lot safer.

The wheel/tire combo I currently have on my '67 cuda is as follows:
215/70/14 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's on Mopar rally wheels (small bolt pattern)...not sure what the backspacing is on these wheels?

I'm going to keep the same tires and install them on 14x6 Cragar S/S wheels (small bolt pattern) with a 3.375 backspacing.

So...this tire/wheel combo shouldn't be a problem...right?

The wheel/tire combo I currently have on my '67 cuda is as follows:
215/70/14 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's on Mopar rally wheels (small bolt pattern)...not sure what the backspacing is on these wheels?

I'm going to keep the same tires and install them on 14x6 Cragar S/S wheels (small bolt pattern) with a 3.375 backspacing.

So...this tire/wheel combo shouldn't be a problem...right?

Depends one how the backspacing and rim width changes.

What is the backspace on a 14x6 sbp rally rim? Do you have 14x6 rallyes?

The reproduction, small bolt pattern rallye wheels currently being made are 14x6 and have a 4" backspacing. Not sure if mine have the same dimensions since they are factory originals and not repros.

I've seen a lot of '67-'69 cudas with 14" Cragar S/S wheels. I just don't know what tire size they were using????

If backspacing is important, here are some other sbp Cragar S/S wheels I could purchase:

* Cragar part #61754 (15x7 with a 4.125 rear spacing and a 3mm offset)

* Cragar part #61854 (15x8 with a 4.25 rear spacing and a -6mm offset)

Ok...you all think this will work???

***P215/65/15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires
Tire Diameter: 26.00 in.
Tread Width: 7.00 in.

and

***15x7 Cragar S/S (5x4 sbp) wheels with a 4.125 rear spacing and a 3mm offset

-
Back