22" vs 26"

-

John Morrow

Mopars and Harleys
Reaction score
The opening for a radiator on my car is 22".......it has a 22" radaitor in it now. ........looking at champion 22" and 26" .......with that opening would I be wasting my time with a 26"

Unless you open up your rad support I can't see the 26 inch rad helping you much. My rad support is opened up and the 26 in rad works really well. Hope this helps.

No it's not a waste at all. Bigger radiators are all about more water. Since the water is actually MOVING through the system, no way is the 2" on either side gonna cost any cooling. Not one bit. If the 26 will fit, put it in there.

I agree with Rob and I also think that a 22" opening IS NOT NECESSARILY going to somehow restrict all additional airflow to the rad.

Unless "we" take one of these cars and engage in some expensive wind tunnel tests, there is no way ---for certain---to find out what the airflow actually IS

But "Intuitively................"

Let's say you have a nice big fan and shroud, which IS making a good try and pressurizing the entire core. With even minimal pressure INTO the front of the car, 30 -- 35 mph, example, you might just have a fair amount of pressure in the cavity formed by the 22" opening.

Yet another example is most any orifice in most any fluid / air system. The orifice is not necessarily "the (only) determining factor."

For example, if you were to have an air blow gun --that's an orifice-- and the end of a few ft of 1/2" hose, it would have "full tank" pressure at the backside, and the orifice in the blow gun would most probably BE the determining factor in limiting airflow

BUT if you were to take that same blowgun, and put it at the end of, let's say, 1/4" OD plastic tube say, 200 ft long, now the TUBING friction and size is going to be the limit, and the blowgun will unlikely have much effect on determining flow.

This is the same idea------even though you have a smaller opening, it's might not be enough to cause all that much effect.

I have the 26" 3-row Champion on my 340 with the normal 22" opening. The car runs cool all the time, it was 95 degrees and the electric fans only kick on after you've stopped at a light. They even cycle on and off and only use the low speed...they are 99 Contour V6 fans with 195 on, 193 off on a 180 Thermostat.

John, I have a 26" radiator in my Duster and have never had an issue with cooling but my car is a 75' and was made for a 26". Mine is a stock appearing 4 core made for an e-body I got from the "late" The Paddock.

I agree that you can put a 26 in rad in a car that has a 22 inch opening, but I think to get the maximum cooling it would be better if the rad support was opened up. JMO

No it's not a waste at all. Bigger radiators are all about more water. Since the water is actually MOVING through the system, no way is the 2" on either side gonna cost any cooling. Not one bit. If the 26 will fit, put it in there.
KIDS dam rob now I know what youv been putting up with sence my last viset ................Artie:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::bs:

I agree that you can put a 26 in rad in a car that has a 22 inch opening, but I think to get the maximum cooling it would be better if the rad support was opened up. JMO
I agree with this one too but what I have had in the past just the volume alone was enough all the old hemi cars came thru with 4 cores i'm sure you know that thow. Artie

That would be true if the water was not circulating.

-
Back