225 /6 to 360v8 swap help

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
this isnt exactly my forte, but im goin to end up swappin a /6 for a 360 v8., ive read that to do it i need to either get motor mounts or a v8 kframe? do i need both or one or the other? which is cheaper? any sites sell these? price? thanks!

I did it in my 74 Swinger. It really isn't that hard. I bought a conversion kit from Schumacher Racing for I think about 100.00. It comes complete with all the hardware and very explicit instructions on how to do it. I had never done it either and it only took about an hour to read how and get the courage to cut the existing mounts to accept the conversion kit.

shumacher makes motor mount swaps so that all you need are those motor mounts and you don't have to get a V8 k frame, you can just google it and it should come up

Here's the mounts from TransDapt

http://www.tdperformance.com/products/?id=3286

Here are mine:

36002.jpg

36003.jpg

You will also need a "V8 dropped" center link to clear the oil pan.

centerlink_Medium_.jpg

Hope this helps.

it does not include a tranny mount...it is the same...and just so you know, a slant 6 trans x-member is the same as a v8 trans x-member

I second that dgc333, not only that but TransDapt only works with '72 and under. Some of us HAVE to use Schumachers.

Does the drive shaft need to be shortened?I might be swapping in a 360 w a 727 in my 72 Duster(is a /6 right now)And do I need the v8 drop centerlink to clear the oil pan?

I was thinking the actual...trans. crossmember was the same, but different rubber mount...

Does the drive shaft need to be shortened?I might be swapping in a 360 w a 727 in my 72 Duster(is a /6 right now)And do I need the v8 drop centerlink to clear the oil pan?

Yes, the 727 is longer than the \6 (or sb) 904 (or manuals) so the drive shaft will need to be shortened and you will also need a new slip yoke because of the larger output shaft. A local drive shaft shop should be able to handle it for you. I paid $75 to have mine shortened, balanced and they installed new u-joints for that proce.

The 72 Duster uses the same center link whether its \6 or v8 so nothing to change there.

I wish Trans Dapt made a nice and inexpensive swap deal for the later mounts. Those Trans Dapts pictures above are good shots! Very inexpensive swap mounts they are.

-
Back