225 Air cleaner to carb spacer missing?

-

Markbo

Reaction score
68 Dart. The air cleaner is tilting to one side. I notice there is only a thin spacer present so the air cleaner base does not sit flush.
Any ideas? Sorry, should have taken a pic. I'll do that and post tonight.
-M

We need to see a picture of what's happening to be able to offer any suggestions... Post the pics...

We need to see a picture of what's happening to be able to offer any suggestions... Post the pics...
Here are those pics.

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

Your gasket is old, dry, stretched, and twisted...

Get a new gasket for the carb to air cleaner base...

Also you have a white cap on a vent, I think the vent should be left open, not capped off...

It also looks like there may be a few vacuum nipples left open and may need to be capped.... Vacuum leaks will cause sluggish performance and bad fuel economy....

Your gasket is old, dry, stretched, and twisted...

Get a new gasket for the carb to air cleaner base...

Also you have a white cap on a vent, I think the vent should be left open, not capped off...

It also looks like there may be a few vacuum nipples left open and may need to be capped.... Vacuum leaks will cause sluggish performance and bad fuel economy....

Thanks. I'll check on the gasket. Something substantially thicker would be needed to get the air cleaner base to clear the top of the carb. Pic #2 shows this the best. I can only find a 68 Plymouth manual and there is nothing in that to give me a clue.....

Here are what looks like open vacuum nipples and the capped off vent...

I would remove the white cap from the vent...

Then start the car and check the other two ports that I circled and see if they are pulling vacuum... If so, cap them off...

001b.jpg

003b.jpg

Thanks. I'll check on the gasket. Something substantially thicker would be needed to get the air cleaner base to clear the top of the carb. Pic #2 shows this the best. I can only find a 68 Plymouth manual and there is nothing in that to give me a clue.....

I think there is a thick one available...

Alright. Here is my leaning tower of air cleaner.

View attachment 1715080980

That's because part of the gasket is stretched and not under that part of the air cleaner so the mounting is not flat... A new air cleaner base gasket should fix that... Try taking the gasket off and put the air cleaner on and see if it sits level/flat...

That's the correct rubber gasket, though yours is overdue for replacement. air cleaner may well not sit flat on that carburetor even once you've got a new gasket; it's not a match. It's a '61-'69 style air cleaner base on a '74-up carburetor that originally used a very different air cleaner. If this is what's going on, you may "get outta jail" with two stacked gaskets between air cleaner and carb.

And yes, the white cap needs to come off that float bowl vent in a hurry.

Last edited:
it's not a match. It's a '61-'69 style air cleaner base on a '74-up carburetor that originally used a very different air cleaner.

Good eye Dan...

that explains why there are so many extra vacuum ports that are not needed...

That's the correct rubber gasket, though yours is overdue for replacement. air cleaner may well not sit flat on that carburetor even once you've got a new gasket; it's not a match. It's a '61-'69 style air cleaner base on a '74-up carburetor that originally used a very different air cleaner. If this is what's going on, you may "get outta jail" with two stacked gaskets between air cleaner and carb.

And yes, the white cap needs to come off that float bowl vent in a hurry.
Thanks Dan. Rats! That explains it. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a period carburetor. In the meantime maybe there's an adapter? Just took the cap off the vent. Does this need to be fitted with a hose or leave it?

My youngest son is going to pull his slant out of his Valiant soon. He has someone interested in the engine. The carb is still available and is off a 67 slant... Let me know if you are interested in the carb, I can talk to him....

I too thought that looked unlike a normal 1968 Holley 1920. Perhaps a Holley 1945, which is likely better. If near me, I have a 74 air cleaner you can have, plus the air heater stuff for faster warm-ups.

I too thought that looked unlike a normal 1968 Holley 1920. Perhaps a Holley 1945, which is likely better. If near me, I have a 74 air cleaner you can have, plus the air heater stuff for faster warm-ups.
Thanks Bill. Unfortunately I'm in SoCal. I'll PM you next week in the case I can't locate one local.

My youngest son is going to pull his slant out of his Valiant soon. He has someone interested in the engine. The carb is still available and is off a 67 slant... Let me know if you are interested in the carb, I can talk to him....
Will do. Thanks for you help.

Thanks Dan. Rats! That explains it. I guess I'll keep my eye out for a period carburetor.

'67-'72 carbs will be the closest match, and IMO the best pick in terms of how well the engine will run is a '70-'71 Carter BBS such as this one. Direct fit except the fuel inlet is on the front instead of on the side, which is a good excuse to do the Fuel line mod.

But if your present Holley 1945 runs well, might as well keep it. There is no air cleaner adaptor, though as I say if you find the air cleaner still doesn't sit flat with a new gasket you can try stacking two air cleaner gaskets and see if that provides the necessary clearance.

The bowl vent should be uncapped and left open.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

In the meantime maybe there's an adapter? Just took the cap off the vent. Does this need to be fitted with a hose or leave it?[/QUOTE]

-
Back