225 carb change

-

thejoejoe3

Dart Vader
Reaction score
I have a 82 d150 with 225 and a carter carb I bought a napa remand (junk) have replaced so many times that they wont do it anymore. the flotbowl empties overnight into the motor, I have rebuilt it twice with same problem, new fuel pump, same, any ideas?
now to the question...can you put a holley (I can get new) on it, or do you need manifold to use the holley? any help is needed.....joe

Go over and visit slantsix.org you should find some answers..

If the bolt patterns and flanges are the same, then you should be able to swap the Holley on it.

You can put a Holley on it. Any 1bbl that came with the slants will work interchangeably. Mine originally from the factory had a Carter BBS on it, it came with a 1920 when I bought it from a guy. I bought a remanufactured 1920 to replace THAT. Junk! The Engine ran, but it never ran to its full potential. The gas mileage was nothing to gawk at, and the position of the float bowl gasket made it leak gas all over the intake manifold. The Holley 1945 was designed for emission controlled engines of the mid to late 70's, and should work fine on your 82'. The one plus side of the Holley 1920 is that is is INCREDIBLY simple to work on.

I recently bought a Carter BBS NOS for my 198 slant six, it even was made for my engine specific for my year! Do a little research with a factory service manual and see what carb came stock for your engine. Mopar engineers put specific carbs on specific engines and vehicles for many well measured and calculated reasons.

Just MAKE SURE you use the right choke for the new carb, or else your choke will not function properly to the specifications.

Best,

1970Dart198

Be aware that the early slant 6 cars had a solid rod linkage from the pedal to the carb (66 and earlier), and the 67 and later were cable operated throttle. The hook up on the base plates is different....

I put a Holley 1945 from Guaranteed Carburetors on my Dart. Worked perfectly right out of the box. Unlimited lifetime warranty on their remans. I even bent my accelerator linkage when I forgot to unhook my throttle cable when pulling my engine. They told me to send it back and they would replace it under warranty. I asked "You mean I'm warranted against my own stupidity?" He laughed and said "Yes sir, you sure are!" and gave me an RMA number to return it on.

if you can get a Guaranteed" good rebuilt from someone like the Guaranteed Carb people you mentioned, that is great! buying a remaned carb from auto parts store and so on, is total crap shoot!!!!! first one might be good, or go thru 10 before you get a good one!

I have bought some good used ones from people on like slant sox.org. or for that matter members on here. if the guy can guarantee it ran good, then just needs cleaning and gaskets..... like he said, best to get one correct for your particular year car. remember use the correct gasket from the intake to carb base.

sorry, it is a 2bbl carter that is on it now, will a 2bbl holley fit the manifold, thanks for all replies...joe

I got a good running 2bbl bbd of my 78 dodge truck.
It rebuilt it a few years ago, pm me.

Yes, you can use a Holley 2280 just fine. They were factory equipment after '84 when Carter went out of business.

How do you know the floatbowl is emptying into the engine? BBD's are dead simple and I've never heard of one do that. Usually when there is a common issue spread across multiple carbs, it's NOT the carb.

I would be checking the integrity of the fuel line front to back. I've had two different vehicles that developed dry-rotted tank to frame rubber lines and it became nearly impossible to get them started.

Yes, you can use a Holley 2280 just fine. They were factory equipment after '84 when Carter went out of business.

How do you know the floatbowl is emptying into the engine? BBD's are dead simple and I've never heard of one do that. Usually when there is a common issue spread across multiple carbs, it's NOT the carb.

I would be checking the integrity of the fuel line front to back. I've had two different vehicles that developed dry-rotted tank to frame rubber lines and it became nearly impossible to get them started.

I can only get 1 pump of the peddle with fuel the next is air, I will check it out, I had not thought about the fuel lines, all the carbs I have put on have leaked on and in the intake and now the oil is more gas than oil. I have already changed it and will look at the lines, thanks for all the help guys.....joe

-
Back