225 holley 1bbl flooding

-
yep, even though its a Jeep diagram, I think you nailed it!, the only thing is the line to the carb I would have guessed as a vacuum line to draw fumes/pressure but it says it goes to the FLOAT bowl which would mean only fumes as there is no vacuum there but most importantly it dose state its purpose is to vent the tank, I suppose the other way I could have solved this was with a vented fuel cap but what I did had the same effect so all is well, thanks for your interest and help

Should be three ports on the charcoal canister:

TANK connects to the metal hard line running along the frame back to the tank.

PURGE connects to a ported vacuum source at the carb

CARB or BOWL connects to the carb bowl vent tube at right front top on 1920 or left front top Holley 1945.

thanks cuurently only one is hooked up, the one going to the tank, I wonder if the ported vacuums job is to help pull vapours therefore reducing fuel line pressure?

The ported vacuum is used to pull stored vapors from canister that have entered the canirster from the tank and carb bowl, and burn them. The ported vacuum is on at certain times and not on at other times. So, it is not a general vent for the tank. Just google it and read up.

ok thanks, well what I think is really going on here is debris, the car acted up again, and again I pulled the needle valve for inspection, what I found was more tiny black slivers of? rubber?, I really dont know how it gets past the filter?, I was using the fram clear plastic g3 filter and have put three different ones on, I just switched to the metal style, I wish I could find a finer micron 5/16 in line filter but the just dont seem to exist, I have replaced all the rubber lines except the main fill hose from cap to tank, I was wondering if the fuel pump diaphram is coming apart? although again it is before the filter, anyway, a quick clean of the needle valve with air or brake cleaner, a new filter, and she is good for another week or so, I realize I should pull the tank I just dont have the time now, that will be a winter project except there is not any rust or deris or water, just the tiny black slivers getting past the filter and jamming the needle valve, thanks

I had a similar problem with flooding. My sock filter in the gas tank was gonzo. I replaced it and that solved my problem.

Perhaps the inside of an old fuel line coming apart? They are before and after the pump and at the top of the fuel tank. Not too hard to take off, inspect, and change out all of them.

I looked at Jegs and they have a bunch of filters that are cleanable or with repalceable elements with 100, 40, and 10 micron filter media. Perhaps a finer media to catch these slivers, and a large flow area (think high volume filter) would at least extend the clogging intervals.

One thing with these carbs is that the float is plastic. and with it being as old as it is, the float could have a hole in it, or just simply degraded with age. I would suggest trying to find another float for it. Possibly brass.

I did put in a new float already, the original was brass and so was the replacement, I found a fuel filter made by mr gasket with a replaceable bronze filter,its been on a week now and so far so good!

I did put in a new float already, the original was brass and so was the replacement, I found a fuel filter made by mr gasket with a replaceable bronze filter,its been on a week now and so far so good!

Where did you find the brass float? I have been looking for one for awhile now

-
Back