225 rebuild advice

-

usmcpig23

Reaction score
Hey guys new member and really enjoy all the input on the sight only problem is their is so much info that it gets a little confusing. I am a firm believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. I currently have a 65 Dart GT with the 225 /6 with 3 spd auto tranny that was my father's last project he was working on prior to his passing 3 years ago. I will be finishing this car for my daughter first vehicle. Yes my 16 y/o daughter turned down a brand new car with all the bells and whistles for the old school. Her grandfather taught her well. I have already put disc brakes and upgraded the bushing. I am looking to rebuild the engine put a better pistons , manifold, exhaust, and carb. The car runs and drives great now but this will be an everyday driver for her so I don't need a 300hp track car but do want it to be able to get out of it's own shadow. So here is this question and keep in mind (KISS) What recommendations do you have as far as rebuilt kit's, mild to moderate cam, manifolds, and carbs 2or4? It would be nice if anyone could pm me with build sheet for what they have done with their engines. Also any recommendations changing the gears on the rear end? Thank in advance.

You might take a look at some of the engine builds over at slant6.org and do a lot of reading both here and over at .org. That said, I would up the compression ratio by either decking the block and/or the head (measurements for chamber volume, pistons below the deck, etc are important here). Nothing too radical on the cam. I would most probably go with a Super Six 2 barrel set-up and a larger exhaust than stock. Just these mods will wake up the slant quite a bit.

Good for your little girl!!

The Engine Builder kits have good parts: Silvolite pistons and Hasting rings.

A new timing chain is a must and degree the cam. A few degrees cam advance will help.

As above, shave the head by about .050" or .060"; no problems doing that with anything else. Heads get shaved a bunch more than that at times. Get as thin a head gasket as you can. Finding an original steel shim gasket is worth it. A good multi-angle valve job will help a bit. Valve guides often need attention. Put in exhaust valve seats if you decide to put in a stronger valve spring. (I kept the stock type springs but just put in new ones.)

Larger exhaust for sure: 2-1/4". Headers optional.

MILD cam, especially for the older /6 engines, which had lower lift cams than later. Go to www.slantsix.org for that. I used a mild torque cam from Doug Dutra (Doctor Dodge over there).

Upgrade ignition to Trailbeast's HEI kit or similar. Make sure your distributor bushings are not worn out.

Carb can be 2 or 1 bbl; the 2 bbl does add some for sure. The Super Six conversions may not be super cheap anymore; shop around.

Oil pump gears are weak; I had Doug Dutra blueprint one for me. Good peace of mind, IMO.

Have radiator rodded out; too many older cruddy cooling systems in /6's.

If the car has not run in years, it very definitely need the fuel tank dropped and cleaned thoroughly, and fuel line cleaned out.

-
Back