225 six wont start

-

BJDEALER

Reaction score
I recently had my mechanic put an old 225 slant six in my 66 cuda. My old motor threw a rod so i found a new block and bolted on the existing head that i had. The motor will crank and turn over but seems to not get any gas or fire. I have been told that even with a bad head the motor should at least start up a little. My mechanic has given up on it so i am wondering if any of you experts know of anything it could be Thanks

Since it cranks over without a problem you need to check to make sure the distributor is turning. Remove the cap and watch it as you crank the motor over, if it does check it for spark and set the static timing. Does it have fuel? Pump the carb and see if gas is spraying down the carb. Once you check these two things you will have a better idea of what the problem is.

If the fuel pump was bad you could pour a little fuel down the carb and get a brief run.
It might be a good idea to move the fuel pump , distributer, etc.. from the blown engine. We know those parts were working.

How do adjust the heads? Is that somedthing a machine shop would have to do? My mechanic has told me he thinks the head needs to be checked out. I just dont understand why it wont at least start a bit even if the head is bad.

sounds like what happened a couple of times with mine. The culprit was the ballist resistor ! My engine cranked and cranked and cranked and wouldn't fire. had a spare ballist around and it fixed the problem.

I would check for spark first. If you have spark then that would rule out the distributor and resistor. If no spark then check the distributor, then resistor. If you have spark and still no fire, I would check fuel. If fuel and no start or at least try to start, try the inital timing. Set your marks on DTC and pull the distro cap off, look at the rotor and see if its pointing to the right wire for #1 on the cap.
This should get a little closer to the issue of no starting.

These things will start up after 10 years of sitting in a junk yard. You just need to go through a check list of things.

#1 - Disconnect the fuel hose from the carb and have someone turn the key and crank the motor. If you have a healthy shot of fuel spit out, then you have gas.

#2 - Check for spark by unplugging a plug wire and laying it next to the inner fender. Have someone crank the engine and see if it sparks real quick. If it does then you are closer to figuring out the problem.

#3 - Have the key in the "On" position and check the voltage at the coil and at the ballast resistor. Have the red lead from the voltmeter going to what you're testing and just stretch the black lead to the batteries negative terminal for best ground. You want 12v a the coil.

#4 - Timing. Rotate the engine by turning the fan so your timing mark lines up with the 0 (TDC) on your timing tab. Remove the dist cap and look at the rotor. Is it pointing toward the front of the car or back at the firewall? If it's pointing back at the firewall then rotate the engine again until the marks line up. This time it should be pointing toward the front. If it's pointing at the 3 o'clock position, then make sure your #1 spark plug wire is plugged into the cap right at that 3 o'clock spot. That should make it close enough to start. If it pops and backfires out the carb. Then line up the marks again, this time with the rotor facing toward the firewall. Then pick the dist up and turn it 180* so it's pointing toward the front of the car and in the 3 o'clock position or wherever it was before. Now you're on the compression stroke and it should start.

Usually when the ballast resistor goes out, you can start the car as long as the key is held in the start position. As soon as you let it go, the car will die.

As far as a valve adjustment, if it worked fine before and they weren't messed with, they should at least be in the ballpark to not cause any problems.

Just a quick note to help. Do you know what year the slant six block was from? If its a hydro lifter engine then your current head wont help you. 1980 and above were Hydro.
Frank

-
Back