225 slant 6 rebuild

-

concrete52

Reaction score
would like to gather my parts for a 225 slant 6 complete rebuild - getting the super 6 set up converting to the two barrel carb - need to know very good engine parts to get engine complete - will be boring the cylinder walls out to next bore size from stock cause cylinder walls are in need of this - and any suggestions are welcome - even mention of cams - its not a racer its a good driver with a bit of zest - thanks fellows

Do you know what year is your /6? The '71 and later or thereabouts /6's had more lift in the stock cam.

I just did a stock level rebuild.
- Used standard flat-top cast pistons with Moly top rings (Enginetech; obtained by my machinist)
- Good trimetal bearings for mains and rods (Michigan 77 or similar)
- New oil pump (got a blueprinted one from Doug Dutra at www.slantsix.org and it brings up oil pressure in <2 seconds from a cold 25F start with 5W30 dino oil)
- I used a stock type Cloyes timing chain but would probably use a double roller setup next time using Cloyes PNs S338, S339, and (I forget the chain PN!)
- Shave the head maybe .050" for an easy CR increase; that will true up the head too.
- Used Felpro gaskets almost everywhere
- Cooked block and head and rust tanked both due to a ton of rusty crud in the water jacket
- Did my own checks on the crank wear; make sure you have that done.
- New cam bearings, freeze plugs, etc.
- All new valves guides and springs (Sealed Power VS510 springs are all of $2 each!)
- Good valve job with a steep angle ream into the pockets to clean them up a bit
- Cleaned out the oil pickup and oil galleries

I got a torque cam and reground lifters from Doug Dutra for a bit of extra low to mid-RPM zip, and timed it to 2 degrees crank advance; he has a similar version that is a bit different for the 2 BBL setup. Go to www.slantsix.org and PM as 'Doctor Dodge'. Lots of good articles and /6 discussion there.

You are doing a good improvement with the Super 6 setup; I would have done that but wanted to keep the all original 1 BBL on my '62.

Make the exhaust 2-1/4".

Sounds like fun!

-
Back