225 Slant 6 Timing and Valve adjustment.

-

slant225go

Reaction score
Hello i just bought my first Plymouth valiant 1965.
First fun work on car and im kinda learning about cars. Anyway i want to set the timing. How do i read that tab on the side? My friend has a flasher.
I know line should be on a degree on the tab. What do the lines represent in degrees? lower number on the bottom line on the tap and go up? i think theirs 4 lines.

Also how would i go about adjusting the valves?

Take Care

Casey

I think the valve lash is 10-10 hot and running.
Hanyes, Chilton, any service manual will help you a lot.
If I had my first slant 6 to do over... a reman'd distributer would be the first thing I bought instead of the last.

Valves should be .010 intake and .020 Exaust, Hot and Running. What side of the engine is the timing tab on?

TF

basically change the cap and rotor and the spark cables and plugs and plug shield rubber rings.
Also replaced the air filter and fuel filter, new battery

tab is the battery side right side if your in front of the car

basically change the cap and rotor and the spark cables and plugs and plug shield rubber rings.
Also replaced the air filter and fuel filter, new battery

tab is the battery side right side if your in front of the car

I did the same thing. Then finally the remand distributer came with new points, rotor, cap. I was 95% certain of .010 - .010 Memory failing I guess. Good luck.

How do I know what how much to spin the motor to get to the different cyl? should the line be strait up or on the tab? first line on the top?

There are a few differant tabs but normally the center mark,may have a hole in the tab, is TDC with 5 degrees before and after TDC. The specs for the valves is stock if you have a performance cam it may be differant go with what the cam grinder says. Clean off the timing tab you should find more marks and a before and after imprinted on it.

TF

-
Back