225 to 400

-

71 Dart Swinger Special

mad mopar disease
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to know what it takes to do a big block swap on a 71 dart. Right now I have a slant six but I am going to go with a 400. I am going to keep the slant six k frame so I know I need the special mounts and I would have to notch the k frame but is there anything else I need to know before going into this swap? Oh the 400 is out of a 72 or 73 newport.

Here is what I am working with, It has power steering to.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• WP_20130916_002 (2).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 202
  • phpVzKq6pPM.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 202
Hello everyone,

I want to know what it takes to do a big block swap on a 71 dart. Right now I have a slant six but I am going to go with a 400. I am going to keep the slant six k frame so I know I need the special mounts and I would have to notch the k frame but is there anything else I need to know before going into this swap? Oh the 400 is out of a 72 or 73 newport.

Here is what I am working with, It has power steering to.

Thanks for your help.

Are you going to run headers or manifolds
you also going to want to change the rear end and put front disc brake if you don't have already

I would go with headers. I already have the rear end under control and I am working on the brakes but would I need new trans mounts? I would need a new drive shaft too but other than that is there any ... "special" mods I would have to do or would it be pretty straight forward?

Thanks again

Throttle cable and kick down linkage and big block trans. Radiator with the correct hose outlets. The trans crosmember will be fine. If you want to keep your power steering you will need the schumaker headers. The torsion bars will need to be upgraded.

The driveshaft will need to be replaced or shortened. The 727 is longer than a 904 and the rear yoke will be closer to the trans if you replace the 7 1/4

Go to...bigblockdart.com and you will find out whats all involved,with the right knowledge and parts it's an easy swap,take your time and good luck with the build,shop around for parts you may find alot of what you need from members here versus new/retail...dont be afraid to ask questions it's the only way to learn and get it done right the 1st time...experience of others will save you alot of headaches and make it alot more fun...what engine combo/power/drivetrain are you shooting for?

I want to go for a big block with 727 and an 8 3/4 rear end. I'm happy with the stock power of a big block in an A body. Here is a picture of the 400 that would be a possibility for me. Please give me your honest opinion on it. The guy wanted 500 but I haven't given him a counter offer yet. He said it came out of a 72 or 73 newport with 70XXX miles and he says its complete without the carb. and exhaust. Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 156
If it runs, $500 is close to fair. If you plan on rebuilding it, $2-300 is much better. I was fortunate to find a core 400 for my son at a half-price day at local yard a couple of years ago. Turned out to be a standard bore motor that looked to have never been apart. Cost me a shade under $100 (well, cost him). It's unlikely you will find that kind of deal, though.

If it has been sitting for a while without a carb on it make sure it turns free. Bring an inch and a quarter socket with a short extension with you. Personally I treat a motor like that as a core if I can't hear it run.

If you could or have heard it run and know that its a solid engine and working trans then 500 wouldnt be a bad deal,but sitting on the floor and taking someones word for it is too much of a risk,as it sits and as a 'rebuilder' with trans my comfort zone would be around 250 tops...hell you may open it up and it be just fine but it's a risk and you would still be looking at a gasket set and carb,timing chain and gear and possibly an oil pan to fit your dart,while you got it apart chk the heads,oil pump and if it all chks out then put it together and run it,if it doesnt chk out well then rebuild it to your desired specs,same goes for the tranny...new fluid/filter etc...all that costs money that you really only want to spend 1 time initially...there's more out there so dont neccessarily jump on the 1st one...good luck on your build and dont get in a hurry..where are you located?

Thanks for all of the help guys. I just found out the motor is 3 1/2 hours away from where I am so I decided not to get that motor. I still want a big block dart. At first I was going to go with a 360 with a mild cam but a big block would be perfect for me. I live in Gurnee IL if that helps.

A guy I knew back in Shelbyville, IL...Jerry Clauson, had a 71 Dart and put a 400 in it. He swore by the low deck motors as they were 5/8 shorter and fit better in the car and would go the 451 route.
The first time he took it to the track at Coles County in Charleston IL, he launched the car into the center gaurd rail!!
Not sure if the guy is still around or even alive. He was one of the Mopar guru's in the area.

-
Back