23 or 18 spline?

-
you can run the B&B/long clutch from mcloed, at 1800 base with a rag disc will work very well. friend had a1600 base one in his 360, ran low 12 sec, wirth slicks

I would do an 18 spline unit for several reasons. The gears are of a coarser pitch and 2-3-4 speed gears are bushed. The input shaft diameter is larger by 3/16 also. I have better luck overbuilding things that get abused. It appears that you have sufficient tire plant to warrant the 18 spline box.

If you are going to regularly powershift it I would look into a face plate 9310 gear set from Libertys Gears.

My all aluminum face plated a833 takes a beating. Email RAM and inquire about a clutch.

20240405_115747.jpg

That’s exactly what a junk clutch does. It will 3rd gear any time you hit it with bite.
You can call it junk but I will call it Too Aggressive. I ran 11.80s with it , not to mention it grabs like that and its 25 years old so not sure if "junk" is the right term.

You can call it junk but I will call it Too Aggressive. I ran 11.80s with it , not to mention it grabs like that and its 25 years old so not sure if "junk" is the right term.

So that clutch junked your gear box and that’s not junk?

Those paddle discs should never ever be used in a street or drag car. You can’t soften them up. The material used won’t take any slippage before it starts chunking the lining off.

There is nothing good about that clutch. I know. I used one for years and killed parts you can’t imagine.

It’s not too aggressive. It’s junk.

Those paddle discs should never ever be used in a street or drag car. You can’t soften them up. The material used won’t take any slippage before it starts chunking the lining off.

There is nothing good about that clutch. I know. I used one for years and killed parts you can’t imagine.

It’s not too aggressive. It’s junk

It’s not too aggressive. It’s junk.
So What clutch/PP do you recommend I purchase for my setup? I like to have fun with the car but don't want to break stuff anymore. I have that RAM paddle and CF2 PP right now. I probably have to pull the Tranny soon because it leaks so bad. I figure it's a perfect time to put a new clutch setup in.

So What clutch/PP do you recommend I purchase for my setup? I like to have fun with the car but don't want to break stuff anymore. I have that RAM paddle and CF2 PP right now. I probably have to pull the Tranny soon because it leaks so bad. I figure it's a perfect time to put a new clutch setup in.

I thought I posted it but if you can find a B&B/Long cover I’d get that. I’d use an organic disc without a Marcel spring and set the cover up at 2200-2400 pounds.

That’s all. No trick **** like dual friction or any of that parts breaking stuff like that.

I’m not a fan of the diaphragm pressure plate so I don’t use them.

I mean I’d run a B&B cover at 2200-2400 pounds long before I used a diaphragm cover.

It won’t break parts, it won’t Popeye your left leg and it will be smooth to drive.

Unless a dual friction disc has sintered iron on one side (should be on both sides but I’m not going down that rabbit hole) it won’t take much heat before it ***** itself all over the inside of the bell housing.

With the small front bearing and a worn trans, - 3rd gear deflection where the shafts meet, loose clearances, 3 fat friends, it adds up.

Well, I am still waiting to break something with the junk clutch, have'm in two cars, one is a Hemi car, the other is a small block stroker. Guess that I just don't beat the hell out of them enough. Not going back to a 3-finger, and I never was into taking them apart and adjusting them to a certain pressure? Will leave that to you, your a hellava lot smarter than I will ever be! Not saying that you are wrong, I just haven't broken anything yet.

the third gear is the weakest gear, in a four speed trans, i knew a racer did his burnouts in 3 rd gear, kept breaking 3rd gear. we used a 1600 # b&b/long pressure plate in 340 car, had no problems breaking gears , with a series 300 disc. used in drag car. just food for thought

-
Back