241 Red Ram Hemi

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Found one today for a friend. It's been through a couple floods and is seized up but the chrome really shines and will look impressive all cleaned up, painted and on display in his Mopar man cave. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20130830_102101.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20130830_102118.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 509
Found one today for a friend. It's been through a couple floods and is seized up but the chrome really shines and will look impressive all cleaned up, painted and on display in his Mopar man cave. tmm

Gotta ask, what did it cost? Very nice decoration piece!

I picked up the Hemi today and delivered it to Mopar Joe. It will make a cool base to a table. We were brainstorming...........a plate where the carb bolts to and a chrome tube to support a Lexan table top. A little steel wool and the chrome really shines. A little pressure washing, cleaning and painting and let the construction begin.

Attachments

• IMG_20130930_145240.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20130930_162437.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20130930_162557.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20130930_164603.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20130930_164643.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 351
Considered using a couple turbos off 2.2's on one of these 241's, but was told the crank journals were too small to deal with even meager HP increases, and no feasible upgrades short of welding the crank and using custom rods and pistons. So a coffee table/shop ornament is probably the best use for it.

Be a cool one though.:glasses7:

Fred : " Nice coffee table, is that a Hemi ? "

ToolManMike : " Thanks, Ya its a Hemi "

It never gets old :)

Considered using a couple turbos off 2.2's on one of these 241's, but was told the crank journals were too small to deal with even meager HP increases, and no feasible upgrades short of welding the crank and using custom rods and pistons. So a coffee table/shop ornament is probably the best use for it.

Be a cool one though.:glasses7:

I don't buy the crank journal thing for a second. It's true, the 241/270 hemi's have crank issues, but it was mostly because of oiling and the lack of a balancer. If the oil holes are cross drilled and chamfered and a balancer is added (any SBM balancer for a forged crank will work) then they can sustain a decent bit more than the stock horsepower. I've seen them with blowers, and folks upgrade them to 10:1 compression and add cams all the time, which significantly increases the hp anyway.

From the HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646065. There's more info on the engine in the thread, including the fact that the engine still runs the stock crank!

Just in case some of you folks think a 241 is too puny to get the job done I'll offer this note from a recent customer:

Hey Gary,
I just wanted to let you know that my 241 pulled 427 hp @ 7,000 rpm last Monday. We woke up the neighbors in Tillamook with that thing! We made three back to back pulls and the water temp never passed 180 and the oil stayed around 80lbs. Boost was 10 lbs. We started this thing with stock manifolds and it pulled 392 hp , but the water temp would shoot up to 235. So I built my first set of headers and this thing really responded. It ran strong and idled smooth. Now to install the Hilborn two port and see what happens.
Thanks for your help, your parts and advice,
Tim

As far as the table, $100 is a steal. The valve covers are worth MORE than that in the condition they're in. The 241/270 Dodge hemi's make great engines for early hot rods, say 30's to 40's, because they're small and easy to fit into smaller engine bays. And with a good rebuild and a little planning they can make around 300 hp, which is plenty if you're talking about something like a Model A. Even the late 30's cars and trucks are easily sub 3,000 lbs, so unless you're wanting a drag racer 300 hp is plenty fun.

I don't buy the crank journal thing for a second. It's true, the 241/270 hemi's have crank issues, but it was mostly because of oiling and the lack of a balancer. If the oil holes are cross drilled and chamfered and a balancer is added (any SBM balancer for a forged crank will work) then they can sustain a decent bit more than the stock horsepower. I've seen them with blowers, and folks upgrade them to 10:1 compression and add cams all the time, which significantly increases the hp anyway.

From the HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646065. There's more info on the engine in the thread, including the fact that the engine still runs the stock crank!

Well, 420+ hp @ 10 psi is an eye opener. I made those inquiries on the Hot Heads Research forums. Was told I was pretty much pissin' in the wind, build a tall deck. I still have the motor in storage, might have to do some more looking into it. At the time I had plans of dropping it in a '55 Plymouth, but that car's gone. Wasn't planning on setting the thing on kill, just a fun street motor/driver. I now have a 270 poly block as well, and a few 2.2 turbo parts on the shelf, left overs from my Daytona.

A lowered Nightwatch Blue with cushy interior '53 Studebaker Starlite Coupe, 350ish hp on pump gas twin turbo'd/intercooled/MPFI 270 backed by an A518 OD or a 200R4 maybe since I like to cruise all day at 80-85.......

Hell, if nothing else it sounds like a plan anyway, and I love doing something different just for the sake of different.........anybody have an old 'Baker out in the barn you want to part with?

Something along these lines is what I want to screw together.

Attachments

• srop_0802_01_z+ciappa_coupe+1953_studebaker_starlite_coupe.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 291
Well, 420+ hp @ 10 psi is an eye opener. I made those inquiries on the Hot Heads Research forums. Was told I was pretty much pissin' in the wind, build a tall deck. I still have the motor in storage, might have to do some more looking into it. At the time I had plans of dropping it in a '55 Plymouth, but that car's gone. Wasn't planning on setting the thing on kill, just a fun street motor/driver. I now have a 270 poly block as well, and a few 2.2 turbo parts on the shelf, left overs from my Daytona.

A lowered Nightwatch Blue with cushy interior '53 Studebaker Starlite Coupe, 350ish hp on pump gas twin turbo'd/intercooled/MPFI 270 backed by an A518 OD or a 200R4 maybe since I like to cruise all day at 80-85.......

Hell, if nothing else it sounds like a plan anyway, and I love doing something different just for the sake of different.........anybody have an old 'Baker out in the barn you want to part with?

Something along these lines is what I want to screw together.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252536

Wrong year, but right car. You should do this :)

-
Back