268 Voodoo cam rpm and vacuum

-
Still finishing all the little things.....drove it around the neighborhood today and it needs some tweaking yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 168
Adjusted the valves and 2 intake lifters seem spongy...... Changed the oil and drove it around a bit. Hopefully they will come back.....we will see what happens ...
I have a brand new 60402 voodoo kit sitting here unopened if all else fails. Might be a better cam for the combo anyway ???

What's the compression ratio? Did you measure how far down in the hole the KB107's were, or CC the chambers on those J heads?

Didn't cc the heads. Pistons are flush with deck ( or damn close...)
CR should be around 9.5-9.75

This was meant to be a driver.....nothing exotic... I just want it to run correctly.

It's odd that I can hear and feel the tapping but can't isolate it with the stethoscope....

I will pull the lifter and inspect lobes and lifter faces.... Then disassemble and clean the 2 problem ones if all looks ok.
If I presoak and pump them up after cleaning but before reinstalling will that tell me if they are going to work? Gaskets are getting spendy!

What lifters are you using? Lunati? Love their cams, but I'm not at all impressed with their lifters. If you think it's lifters I'd just replace them.

Also, your cranking compression seems low for that compression ratio. My 340 is at 9.8:1 and I run a lunati 60404 and I usually get around 175psi on my cranking compression.

I am using some lifters supplied by the machine shop...I too feel the cylinder pressure is a bit low but it really hasnt had time to seat rings ... and it occured to me that I did my test without opening the butterflies... not that it will make that much difference .

History on this engine is that it has been rebuilt twice in the last 2 years. During breakin on the 1st go around it sucked (vibrated) a base plate screw out of the carb and through a few cylinders ! Try diagnosing that random PLINKING !

1st machinist I brought it to said the cam was starting to lose a lobe and he didnt mark the lifters for reinstall. He also took 4 months to inspect the engine and seemed to be under the impression that I was building a Pro-Mod car...(Just a driver !) 2nd guy said it was fine but had to get new lifters because they were not matched. I had already bought a new cam (the 402 sitting unwrapped in my garage) that I was intending to install . He double checked the 403 and swore it was fine...

The guy that originally built the engine screwed the heads up so bad that guys on FABO picked it up from a random pic of the head ! And he had built several engines for me in the past but took to the bottle from what I hear ( I had a sneaking suspicion of that !)...

-
Back