26k stock 440 tolerate this cam?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
We have this 440 with 26k original. Very well maintained. Runs perfectly. Has a performer intake, 800 avs, shorty headers and 2.5 duals with H pipe. I will be having Don re-curve the dist and using his electronic box too.

We have alot of the engine bay pulled out for a rack steering system rebuild and I am pulling the oil pan, intake, headers and doing this cam swap.

I have this cam and some accessories NIB: XE268H-10

Specs: 224 / 230 @ 50. 477/480 lift. Probably wont be that much lift since I'm running stock rocker train.

Have new lifters and dbl roller going in too.

Can the factory springs and retainers tolerate this lift up to 5500 rpm? No way it will get above that. Rev limiter going in soon.

Perfect,you should be fine...Ok,maybe springs but I doubt it,at 5500 shouldnt be a prob if engine only has 26k,but for GP while its out put some in[new springs]

I have a little different take...

While lift wise I don't see a problem, the XE line has a more aggressive ramp the stocker. It will tax those springs enough that while they may perform for a while, I'd go ahead and swap them for the recommended Comp's while you're in there.

They list a single & a double for that application, but with the limited rpm you're choosing, I think the #911 single would be a worthwhile upgrade.

I have a little different take...

While lift wise I don't see a problem, the XE line has a more aggressive ramp the stocker. It will tax those springs enough that while they may perform for a while, I'd go ahead and swap them for the recommended Comp's while you're in there.

They list a single & a double for that application, but with the limited rpm you're choosing, I think the #911 single would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Good advice. Even in Comp's catalog it says with that cam, "Stock springs cannot be used".

And what about the factory retainer setup? Excluding badly worn parts, would they be fine?

Perhaps I'm just a little bit of a stickler for stuff like this, but I'd probably buy matching hardware for the springs if upgrading over stock. I'm thinking you're also intending to replace the stem seals too, right?

I will just get some seals off rock auto or napa. Springs I'll get from summit - comp. Retainers I'll decide on after looking at the factory ones to see if they appear worn.

I appreciate the responses !

Stock replacement seals will be fine with a single spring. As far as the retainers, they can look a little small, diameter wise, with some aftermarket springs, although they will work. Comp does offer some replacements that are a hair larger and also use the 10* vs a 7* lock angle. Pretty reasonably priced too if I recall. Just something to check out if you decide to move up with them.

-
Back