273 // 360 help

-

tguss

Reaction score
would a 68 273 timing cover and water pump work on a 80 360 ??? does any one know ? thanks

The problem is that the proper 360 balancer must be used for engine balance, and the timing mark is different between the early/ late timing cover. I "guess" the late balancer will fit in conjunction with the early cover, and if so, you'll have to use a piston stop and construct yourself an new TDC mark, not very difficult.

Yes, it will fit.

If you do, the water pump outlet is on the opposite side. If you are going to put it in a 70's and later car, you will have to get a radiator with the outlet switched. If you put it into a 60's car the original radiator will work.

The problem is that the proper 360 balancer must be used for engine balance, and the timing mark is different between the early/ late timing cover. I "guess" the late balancer will fit in conjunction with the early cover, and if so, you'll have to use a piston stop and construct yourself an new TDC mark, not very difficult.

Yes, I would just find TDC on the engine and mark a new mark on the original balancer. I like to use white paint or white out, so it stands out better for the timing light.

ic, thanks , would the 68 273 water pump work on the 80s 360, trying to figer it out so i dont have to change raditor and brackets. would the 273 pullies work on 360 ? , thanks for all the help

ic, thanks , would the 68 273 water pump work on the 80s 360, trying to figer it out so i dont have to change raditor and brackets. would the 273 pullies work on 360 ? , thanks for all the help

Yes, it will work on the 80's 360. I would recommend using the 60's timing chain cover with it so the water pump outlet doesn't interfere with the timing marks.

Use the late 60's timing chain cover and water pump with the correct marks (in some years the timing marks were on a tab that attached to the lower two water pump bolts). Then get the engine to TDC and mark the original 80's vibration damper for the timing marks for the "old setup". Then this will work with your old style radiator.

You have to check the pulleys. Some pulleys had offset bolt pattern, some had "even" bolt pattern. Test the pulley to the damper before assembling. If not look for a crank pulley with the correct pattern to match your damper. Worst case, 5 out of 6 bolts should be able to line up if mis-matched, but I wouldn't recommend using it this way as it may loosen after a while... But if you're in a pinch...

Or another fix would to have someone mill out the mismatched hole to open it up to the thread that doesn't line up. Then you will only have a slot in that hole instead of a true hole. Make sure to use a good washer in that hole to spread out the load on the pulley from the bolt. Make sure tht the washer does not run into the bell curve of the damper.

I would also compare the thickness of the original damper with the thickness of the 80's 360 damper, as that could throw off the pulley alignment.

-
Back