273/360 parts swap question question

-

Litz

Reaction score
Will a 1965 273 timing chain cover/water pump swap onto a 1973 motorhome 360? And if so will the 273 water pump cool the larger engine? Also will the 273 timing chain cover accept the 360 harmonic balancer? I know I will need to find #1 TDC and use timing tape for accurate timing. I want to use the 273 water pump since it has the drivers side radiator hose outlet. I will also need a passenger car oil pan. Thanks in advance, Litz

My 67bcuda that I just bought has a 273 water pump on it. seems to work ok, idles at 190 in the driveway with no shroud. It also has the 360 dampener on it. timing tab/marks are there but probably a ***** to read with the hose in the way.
not sure on the 65 cover. I have never heard of any difference there.

Among the small blocks, as to their front ends;everything swaps to everything, except 360 balancers always stay with the engine.

However, I highly recommend to swap to the 70Up front end,including the rad. You will be way ahead in the long-run.

Among the small blocks, as to their front ends;everything swaps to everything, except 360 balancers always stay with the engine.

However, I highly recommend to swap to the 70Up front end,including the rad. You will be way ahead in the long-run.
Were their any 360 water pumps with the radiator hose on the drivers side?

no, the 360 came out in 71, so it has always been in the 70-UP group.
This group has the aluminum WPs. They come in two OEM flavors, a 6 vane and and 8vane. If you start hopping up your 360 you will soon find out that neither of these will do the job. But more importantly,neither will that early radiator.
So, in the long run that early rad will probably have to go.
IMO, you might as well bite the bullet and do it now. Any 70 and up rad will do the job. Whether or not it will bolt in I cannot say.
When your 70UP pump fails, a new one is right around the corner. When your old iron pump fails 500 miles from home,where are you gonna find a pump? You may be sleeping in a tent for two days while, a replacement comes from who-knows-where.
Just saying........

Last edited:
no, the 360 came out in 71, so it has always been in the 70-UP group.
This group has the aluminum WPs. They come in two OEM flavors, a 6 vane and and 8vane. If you start hopping up your 360 you will soon find out that neither of these will do the job. But more importantly,neither will that early radiator.
So, in the long run that early rad will probably have to go.
IMO, you might as well bite the bullet and do it now. Any 70 and up rad will do the job. Whether or not it will bolt in I cannot say.
When your 70UP pump fails, a new one is right around the corner. When your old iron pump fails 500 miles from home,where are you gonna find a pump? You may be sleeping in a tent for two days while, a replacement comes from who-knows-where.
Just saying........
Good advice! Thanks for the reply, Litz

-
Back