273 .40 over Pistons? Max bore on a 273?

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that sells these? I took the block to the shop and they need to go .40 over but I'm having a tough time finding Pistons. What's the max you can go over with these engines, that might be put me in a better size to find a set?

Thanks,
Jake.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

first thing to do is have that block sonic checked to be sure there was no core shift when it was first made. If there was you will be advised to replace the block. Going anything over.030 needs to be sonic checked before wasting the money for boring it.

I can tell you that for a 1965 era block, I went .060 over with TRW forged (domed) pistons rated at 10:5 to 1. I believe this was a duplicate of the factory commando piston. This was back in the early 1970's when I did the build (achieved a 12.72 ET at 108 mph in a four dour Valiant). However, I don't believe these pistons are available new any longer. When I lost a valve, that affected cylinder was cracked, but I repaired it with a sleeve with no problems.

Egge Machine still has 2 pistons for 273s. One is the stock flat top and the other is the 10.25:1 dome. Both are available in sizes from standard up to .060" over. You can download a catalog or get their contact number here www.egge.com Hope this helps...

Domed pistons are also available from Kanter. The brand name is Builder's Choice. Check my engine build thread for info on actual compression height and dome volume. I used the Kanter pistons and only got to 9.6:1.

I don't know what bore sizes they offer.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I found a set through egge, they were in stock and should work out just fine.

Thanks,
Jake

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Keep us posted on your engine build and take lots of pictures.

Keep us posted on your engine build and take lots of pictures.

Thanks dude, ive been burning my eyes staring at the computer following your 273 build and im really excited to be on the slow process.

Jake

-
Back