273 4BBL Throttle Linkage

-

greg r

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dart GT with a 273 and 904 automatic. The former owner put an Edelbrock 1406 and Edelbrock manifold on it. I have come to find the kickdown linkage was way out of adjustment, and the carb never opened up to WOT. I think for a 3 speed trans I've only noticed it shifts only once. I have the carb tuned now to good idle, crisp response and decent cold/choke idle. I've adjusted the linkage per the FSM, but I am scratching my head on how to correctly hook up the throttle and kickdown linkage to the carb throttle arm without intefereing with each other. I'm looking at Edelbrock's 1481 adapter, but it just doesn't seem quite right. I have the older linkage with the rod and ball that goes to the bell crank. Pictures are greatly appreciated. I will post some later.

I don't recall what was first year for the throttle pressure arm long slot ( free throttle return ) or what year the bell crank moved from mounted on back of head to mounted on the intake.
If I didn't have the later model improved design V8-4brl stuff, I think I would buy all that first.
Any aftermarket 4brl placed where a 70 up OEM 4 brl was, is surely a lot simpler.

Simple!! You need the 4 bbl upper arm with the arch to clear the cable and such! 2bbl linkage doesn't have the rise necessary to come up to the 4 bbl location!

Or you need to modify the 2 Bbl upper Rod!!

Here is a picture of the present setup:

IMG_1572.JPG

Use the Chrysler adapter then get a 340 bracket and kickdown arm, from the bellcrank to the carb stud. Then you should be able to get it wide open with the pedal to the metal and adjust your kickdown to satisfy.

From a old guy who was ( when a 8 year kid ) chased by a runaway Chrysler product with wide open throttle.... please get yourself a kick down rod with free throttle return and suggested above.
Me, my sister, her best friend Susan, can testify God was with us on that day.

Thank you all for the great replies. I have the adaptor on order. I am searching for the slotted upper kickdown link. The FSM does show, in addition to being year specific, quite a variation according to model and engine. The Coronets and I6 engines do show the slotted link. ONLY the Dart with a V8 has my particular ball end. Here's a picture with the linkages hooked up as I received it. The cable bracket looks "adapted" to raise it for the 4 barrel. Compared to Johnny Dart's, no wonder it didn't work well for transmission response or WOT

IMG_1573.JPG

Last edited:
So the slotted kickdown is safer? That is, in the event the kickdown linkage gets hung up for whatever reason; the throttle is "free" to return to idle position?
BINGO ! We have a winner. You might be susprised how many don't know wtf that slot is for. As a kid I overheard the adults talking about what caused the old fellows car to go berserk. Still a few years later before I understood.

Last edited:
Having driven manuals for most of my life, automatic linkages seemed self explanatory, just never really set them up. One thing puzzles me is some of the setups I've seen don't seem to have a return spring on the slotted upper link. I would want a guarrantee that the linkages return home with the throttle going to idle position; the manual shows springs at least for the vintage I have. I have the bell crank mounted on the head, and there are no spring returns other than the throttle. I would want to put a spring on the new upper arm.

The slotted upper arm has a return spring of its own.
The bell crank bolted to back of head aint a huge safety issue. Cross thread or break on of those bolts requires head removal to repair.
the later model bell crank that mounts on the intake has the throttle cable clamp on it too. All in 1 nice neat package.

I'm at a toss up between doing a full Lokar throttle/kickdown lash-up or as the post referring to Johnny Dart's image. What years/model am I looking at to imitate Johnny Dart's, assuming it correctly applies to the 1965 273/904 ? I have the 3 piece rod and bell crank. I have also found there are 4 different lengths of control arms on the transmission as well.

I'm at a toss up between doing a full Lokar throttle/kickdown lash-up or as the post referring to Johnny Dart's image. What years/model am I looking at to imitate Johnny Dart's, assuming it correctly applies to the 1965 273/904 ? I have the 3 piece rod and bell crank. I have also found there are 4 different lengths of control arms on the transmission as well.

68 up 340 throttle bracket and the arm from the throttle bracket bellcrank to the throttle stud on the carb. The rest should adjust to work.

What kinda phuckery T/C bracket is that? Get a proper one. I got a factory tall bracket
Beats me, it's the way it came. The postman came today with the newly ordered Lokar components. I will post the new set-up once I move my work area from under the house to the shop :)

I think the early A throttle brackets (which you have) are unique and hard to come by especially the 4bbl ones.
Good luck and post pics when done.

-
Back